CODE SCANNERS $100 or less THAT READ 1999 CIVIC?

KURT99

1999 Civic LX, 1.6L
In all my exhausting, annoying online searching, I cannot find reasonably priced [under $100.00] code scanners that will read the absolute, correct protocols for Civics, for any year——PERIOD! I do not care what any of them say in their misleading ’specs’ summary about 1996 and newer, or Asian cars in US market, etc. If you dig deep enough you might find some caveats by the manufacturer——NO—-to 1999 Civics and then that’s it. Many angry buyer comments who failed to research deeper and then found themselves screwed after buying.

They sometimes show partial lists of specs/protocols, but how does that help a DIYer? And sometimes they say 1999 Accords, but if they’re the same specs, then say ALL Hondas, or Accords & Civics? Just not right.

The correct specs/protocols I found are; SAE J1978 and the protocols 9141, 9141-2. If wrong, please correct me, and if I am right, could someone help? Thanks, Kurt

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They sometimes show partial lists of specs/protocols, but how does that help a DIYer?
You're not going to find a complete code scanner for under $100 because they are not for DIYer's.
You'll need to pony up the money for a SAE spec scanner tool.