Civic Type S

JimmiT91

Hi All,

Hoping for some help, I have a 1.4l civic (d14z6) which I know is not worth modding in anyway but I still find ways to have a little fun in it. Anyway I was looking at getting the Type S soon of the same generation but wanted to know a couple of things, firstly is there any known issues/ reasons not to get one? And lastly is the engine any good? I believe it's the k20a3 and by any good I mean for mods etc. . . .

I can also get an electric car through my work soon . . . Do honda have any decent all electric cars? (I am insure about electric cars as I don't know if they will be as fun)

Thanks all and I hope to hear from someone soon

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was looking at getting the Type S soon of the same generation but wanted to know a couple of things, firstly is there any known issues/ reasons not to get one? And lastly is the engine any good? I believe it's the k20a3 and by any good I mean for mods etc. . . .
Everything you could possibly want to know...

JimmiT91

No problem and those K series motors are bulletproof.
Ahhh that's good just read a bit in other forums that the engine in the Type S isn't as good for modding (that's what I would eventually want to do).

I will have a good look through what you sent after I finish work today.

For now will stick with my super rapid 1.4 lol

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It may also help to post where you're from, the cars you are referencing, we may have here in the US, but are known as something else.

Ahhh that's good just read a bit in other forums that the engine in the Type S isn't as good for modding (that's what I would eventually want to do).
What specifically did you read and what was the reason for those motors "not good for modding"?
I've never heard that before.
What are you planning on doing?

JimmiT91

They didn't
It may also help to post where you're from, the cars you are referencing, we may have here in the US, but are known as something else.

What specifically did you read and what was the reason for those motors "not good for modding"?
I've never heard that before.
What are you planning on doing?
They didn't say specifics, the only thing I remember exactly is that the K20a3 (believe this is the Type S engine) is no where near as good as the K20a2 engine for mods.

In regards to what I want to do . . . I am not 100% sure yet. I don't think I will want to strip seats out etc as it will still be a daily runner. I love the thought of having a nice little sleeper tbh so that is what I would want to do . . . Prob turbo etc but don't want massive massive gains where I have to start changing internals. Just something to give the lil badboys a shock haha

JimmiT91

That's why I was looking at if there was anything to do to my d14 engine as the body work is shabby but like I said after looking around and seeing other convos it isn't worth touching

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They didn't say specifics, the only thing I remember exactly is that the K20a3 (believe this is the Type S engine) is no where near as good as the K20a2 engine for mods.
Right off the bat, the K20a2 is a better start off point from a hp stand point, 200 rated crank hp vs 160 for the K20a3.

JimmiT91

Right off the bat, the K20a2 is a better start off point from a hp stand point, 200 rated crank hp vs 160 for the K20a3.

Ahhh OK thats interesting. So the a2 is only in the rsx. I'm not massively clued up in mechanics but it interests me. Look at that thread the a2 is quite a dear engine (sought after), I am hoping the a3 is more than suitable for what I explained I wanted though?

I think I am going to have to study hard so I know what I am doing/talking about.

Gonna give that first thread you posted a good read in a bit. Hopefully I will be able to make OK gains when I get the Type S. Like is said not looking for 1000000hp just enough for a bit of a blap occasionally

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ahh OK what about the UK? Or was it only available in the US market?
From what I recall reading 20 some years ago when this car came out, the Acura Rsx was a North American model, everywhere else it is the Honda Integra.

This is complicated by the fact that there are four different forms of Type S, and two Type Rs:
  • Acura RSX Type S (02-04)
  • Acura RSX Type S (05-06)
  • Honda Integra Type S (JDM, 02-06)
  • Honda Integra Type S (AUDM/NZDM, 05-06)
  • Honda Integra Type R (JDM, 02-06)
  • Honda Integra Type R (AUDM/NZDM, 02-04)
I'll just give a quick rundown as to how they were specced.
Acura RSX Type S (02-04):
  • K20A2 engine (200hp)
  • 6-speed manual
  • 17" five spoke alloy wheels
  • Leather seats, Bose audio as standard
Acura RSX Type S (05-06):
  • K20Z1 engine (210hp)
  • 6-speed manual
  • 17" five spoke alloy wheels
  • Leather seats, Bose audio as standard
  • K20AR JDM camshafts, B-pipe and 4.7 final drive ratio
Honda Integra Type S (JDM, 02-06):