Rattle from 2019 EX-L

usmanansari

My 2019 Civic EX-L has a rattle that appears to come from either the dash area or the center console area where the gear shifter is located. This happens around 60 degrees F. If the temperature is too cold or too hot, this sound disappears. Typical this sound comes between 0 - 15 miles/hour speed. Sometimes I have heard this sound at 45-50 miles/hour, but this is rare. The sound starts to come when I start my car (temperature appropriate) and put it in the Reverse gear, going back to neutral the sound disappears.

I have taken my car to a Honda dealer 7-8 times, they have not been able to fix this issue. They have opened the dash area and tried to see if there is evidence of mechanical movement, and have put dampening material inside the dash. Nothing has helped so far.

If it helps, I have a sound recording I can post it here.

Has anyone seen this issue? Or any idea what/how to diagnose/fix this?

Thanks!

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Upload a good quality video to youtube and post the link here.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Have you come up with a solution to this yet?

usmanansari

Not yet. Looks like the sound is coming from near the gear stick, was thinking of asking the dealer to check for heat shield rattle. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Not yet. Looks like the sound is coming from near the gear stick, was thinking of asking the dealer to check for heat shield rattle. Any other suggestions are welcomed!
Heat shield on the catalyst is pretty common but they should have identified that pretty quickly once on a rack.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
So I just reread your OP a few more times. Does the sound go away when you apply pressure to the clutch? If so its most likely the throw out bearing. Sometimes sounds can resonate making it appear to be caused somewhere else.

You stated at certain speeds so I'm wondering if its in the driveline.

usmanansari

Mine is automatic, so there is no clutch!

Sound can come (if the temp is in the range) when starting and putting the car in R (w/o moving so foot on the break)

This issue is evolving, speed range is changing, have heard this sound in 15 - 25 m/h range as well.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Mine is automatic, so there is no clutch!
Perhaps the torque converter then but I would imagine you would have drivability issues.

Got my headphones out of storage and listened to the video again. Just sounds like static. Can you take another video from both inside the car and then move to outside the car. Pop the hood and record under the hood.

usmanansari

Thanks for spending g time on this!

I have heard this sound in N also!

A few weeks ago tried taking video from outside the car with the hood open, but no sound was heard, while the sound was audible inside the car.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sounds like like rough acceleration, is the intake and exhaust stock? Just asking so I can determine what I am hearing.
How does the car feel during acceleration? Is it very sluggish? During braking it didnt notice any odd noises, only the very rough sound when you apply throttle.

usmanansari

Videos may not be able to get actual sound! Acceleration is fine, this sound is independent of the car moving. Sometimes sound comes when in N, or in R (and not moving) and in D (moving but the sound goes away when going to a higher speed like > 15 mph).

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sorry this is one of those things Id def have to lay my hands on and get a closer impression of whats happening. Does not seem as if it is something that is common.