EK3 buying questions

EddieLx

Know this isnt really the right place to ask but really want some input delete it if it is just pure wrong of me
Hi looking at an ek3 with the eco vtec that has gone 260k kms.
Have some pictures of it and need some info/tips if i decide to go look at it he is asking for 3k usd.
Is supposedly rust free underneath and has some modifictations like new center system exhaust which is mostly the big thing i guess rest is just small and mostly cosmetic + it has new back brakes. Gonna be my first "project"/canyon/touge car which i will probably upgrade as i myself get better at driving.
Got some pics of it down below also tires are almost dead but was the thing i was gonna change first anyway.

engine bay

Attachments

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
$3k isnt bad for a running Civic now a days. The parts they have added do not add to the value at all so you might be able to talk the seller down a few hundred.

Something I see, rather appears to be, is the oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold appears to be have to wiring cut from the sensor.

Do a good test drive and see if you can find and drivability issues. The primary O2 sensor being cut will cuase the car to run in open loop, this will cause the engine to run richer as a precaution to protect the engine from running lean as the ECU will not know what the o2 saturation is. Have the seller fix that or deduct from the offer price.

Wiring harnesses can be found commonly in the salvage yard but will be more difficult finding a manual harness nowadays. Being in Europe however it may be a lot easier for you as manual cars are more common versus here in the USA now where automatics tend to be standard :(

EddieLx

$3k isnt bad for a running Civic now a days. The parts they have added do not add to the value at all so you might be able to talk the seller down a few hundred.

Something I see, rather appears to be, is the oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold appears to be have to wiring cut from the sensor.

Do a good test drive and see if you can find and drivability issues. The primary O2 sensor being cut will cuase the car to run in open loop, this will cause the engine to run richer as a precaution to protect the engine from running lean as the ECU will not know what the o2 saturation is. Have the seller fix that or deduct from the offer price.

Wiring harnesses can be found commonly in the salvage yard but will be more difficult finding a manual harness nowadays. Being in Europe however it may be a lot easier for you as manual cars are more common versus here in the USA now where automatics tend to be standard :(
I see, thank you for helping.
Does this rust matter?
And also should i be worried of the rust that i marked in the engine bay area? 31210 31209

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Most of what you marked is the host clamp and the lip of the front radiator support. That's pretty normal for people who do not maintain their cars. If an owner has been maintaining their car the radiator hoses on a 20+ year old car would have been replaced more than once so clamps would be fairly new~ish.
Also if an owner is cleaning his car regularly they would most likely wipe down any standing water, even under the hood.

As for around the headlights again, lack of maintenance by the previous owner.

I would look inside the valve cover and smell all the fluids, trans, power steering, engine oil. If any of it smells BURNT as f**k. Walk away unless you plan on rebuilding failed components in the near future.