Emission System/Pressure Control Valve J

Shredder64

I got a check engine light to “Check Emission System. Put in a new air filter and tightened my gas cap. I checked the obd2 code and it came up P2821 “Pressure Control Solenoid J stuck on.” Wasn’t expecting a transmission code. Any experience with this code? I can only find where solenoids A-C are. Not sure where J is.

Attachments

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Which model Civic do you have from 2012-2015? Which engine?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sorry about that. It’s a 2012 LX with the 1.8L
If I am not mistaken that valve is inside the valvebody of the transmission which would require pulling the transmission. Honda FWD automatic transaxles are sealed units. Basically the only maintenance you can conduct on them is a fluid flush and refill. If the fluid has not been changed in a very long time, longer than the service life of the fluid then you will get a lot of crud around the valvebody solenoids.

Just like engine oil, trans oil gets very hot and over time the viscosity goes up making the fluid thicker. This is due to the fluid heat cycles and the amount of friction material that is floating around in the fluid. This friction material eventually starts to turn into a muddy paste that collects in the corners and notoriously around solenoid valves.

Id say at minimum a good flush and fill at your local dealership should resolve that problem. If not then a rebuild or replacement of your transmission may be required. Without having the chance to put my hands on the car and only using this information, that's what I draw the root cause up to.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thank you for the help! I was worried it was going to be internal. Going to get it flushed and hope it clears it up.
Let us know the results.