New to the forums and the mod world

CoolCarGuy

5+ Year Member
Hello! I'm new to the forums and hoping to learn and do some DIY. The current car that I have now is a 5th gen 1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe. Here is a photo of front of the car and was taken off of a Nikon DSLR

civic.jpg

At this point I had this thing bone stock since I bought it in May of 2016 with 207,282 miles (~333588 km) and I have check some of the fluids under the hood. Here's what it looks like under the hood.

Hood.jpg

I'm hoping like earlier of this post, I'm hoping to make it as a sleeper at some point of having this car.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have an actual question?
What are your plans for the car?
Make sure when you come up with plans, you factor in your budget of what you can actually and realistically afford.

CoolCarGuy

5+ Year Member
The question I have is where do I start? I was thinking realistically maybe starting on the intake and exhaust for the car. The actual plans for the car is making it into a sleeper car and budgeting about 60k over a period of time, not all at once. In terms of power, I'll like to ease into having the engine putting out around 600, maybe, 700 at the wheel. I do regularly check once every 1 to 2 weeks just to make sure that the car isn't leaking any fluids.

CoolCarGuy

5+ Year Member
So, if I do end up doing an engine/transmission swap, what kind of transmission would I go for if I went with a K-series engine? I'm already mature enough to have an understand of what to do, I'll admit that I had done stupid things in the past that'll make me learn from my mistakes, in being honest and yes, budgeting 60,000 in the US.

CoolCarGuy

5+ Year Member
I'm better off not using K-series when doing an engine swap and a lower budget? In all honestly, I rather build something that is unique to me and being proud that I could do it on my own.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
(budgeting 60,000 in the US) Will NEVER happen, but there's no laws against having crazy, unrealistic dreams. =)
Someone was selling a LaFerrari motor on eBay not too long ago. First ever LaFerrari swap?? :lol:

OP, you're need to going to do a lot of research. You have a power goal and a (very high) budget. Step 1... done!

Step 2... go read and learn about the different Honda motors that are out there, and which do and don't swap easily into your car. You're not going to get 6-700 HP out of a N/A Honda, so start researching forced induction (likely turbo charging), and how it works exactly. Look into how tuning works, and into how and why upgraded parts help make more power. With that much power, you're going to want to do things right the first time.

Step 3... Go back to step 2 and do it again. Seriously - the more informed you are, the better off you will be.

Step 4... You should now have enough information and knowledge to plan your build, purchase parts, and work towards making everything happen. If you can't at this point, go back to Step 2.

In all honestly, I rather build something that is unique to me
Likely not going to happen with a 22 year old car.

CoolCarGuy

5+ Year Member
Essentially, heavy on the researching on various companies, find reviews for a particular parts, watch youtube videos (at least 5 times or more) and if I can't do it correctly, more heavy researching?

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
I have a B swapped EG6 putting down over 500whp id happily sell you as is for 20K and save you 40K, just sayin...

Sent from my boujea ass phone

CoolCarGuy

5+ Year Member
Some of us have a full- or part-time jobs that allows us to have an income, budget what's needed, and the rest could be what we want or saving up for a particular thing. Not all jobs and income are created equal and that kind of why having a budget is worth doing.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
I get it but 60k in a civic? Id buy a used gtr or even a 4dr V... its just FAR fetched to have that budget for something that will NEVER be worth what you put into it, trust me i get it, im deciding making my EG6 AWD or take a huge loss and sell it...

Sent from my boujea ass phone

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I get it but 60k in a civic? Id buy a used gtr or even a 4dr V...
That's what I'm thinking...
You can buy a R33 for around $30k, that in itself is unique, AWD, turbo AND bulletproof with lots of mod potential!
$60k budget for a 20 yr old Civic just seems.....

Last edited:

Fondatron3000

Why buy it for $20K when I have $60K burning a hole in my pocket!

:P
Listen I love civics, I have one and they are fun and stuff but it's a 25 year old car dude! For 60k go buy something new. Jeez

Astnbllr

No way! I have the exact same car, and this is also all very new to me. I'm thinking I might need an engine swap, but my primary concern is figuring out where I should start.

The transmission has seen better days.

I'd like to un-racecar it a little, but still retain that signature Honda flexibility. I want power steering and a/c, and also decent mileage and power.
And I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing a lot of rewiring and replacing all the brake lines.

I've worked on motorcycles quite a bit, but this is my first project car, and honestly, I'm in a bit over my head. That's what makes it fun though, and at least I know I've chosen the right car to learn with.