A/C Problems

wyclef

5+ Year Member
Hey, my 2004 Civic is not blowing cold air on idle only after I've been driving fir a bit. Does this mean I am low on refrigerant and if so is this something the average joe can fix himself and how? Thanks!

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like your AC fan might be out? I think I have a similar problem but haven't followed up and checked the fan.

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't have a Haynes manual or anything handy, but the fan should be 12V. Unplug it from the car wiring harness and give it 12 volts. Or run the AC with the car stopped for a while, and see if the fan kicks on after the air isn't blowing as cold.

wyclef

5+ Year Member
I don't have a Haynes manual or anything handy, but the fan should be 12V. Unplug it from the car wiring harness and give it 12 volts. Or run the AC with the car stopped for a while, and see if the fan kicks on after the air isn't blowing as cold.
I ran the interior climate control diagnostics and it didnt flash any codes. This mean it probably just low on refrigerant?

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Possibly. Make sure to check before trying to recharge it though, I have royally screwed up my AC system by trying to use those dumb Walmart AC cans before.

wyclef

5+ Year Member
By check you mean use the pressure gauge that comes with the can? How did you screw things up? Anything I should avoid?