No throttle cables anywhere?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post. Got my dream car: a '91 Civic DX HB (automatic, not stick) and inherited her name: Betty.

Well, gas pedal was feeling a little sticky over the past couple weeks and I knew something was wrong but didn't check it. Then it happened yesterday: throttle cable snapped and the pedal is now on the floor.

Had Betty towed to mechanic who told me there are no throttle cables for 91 Civics to be found anywhere. I've called junk yards, looked online, etc. My brother-in-law who works for a parts supply said he didn't know of anyone who had them.

How can this be? It seems like a part that should be easy to find.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How can this be? It seems like a part that should be easy to find.
You're asking about an almost 30 yr old car, where most of the OEM parts are discontinued and most of these cars have been beaten to death, or rotted away and scrapped.

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/1991-honda-civic-3dr_dx-ka-4at/accelerator-pedal.html

If the car were a 5 spd, it would be an easy fix since those are still available.

From the looks of it, you need #9 in the diagram, which is discontinued.
You could call your local Honda dealer and see if they have one somewhere sitting on the shelves in stock.

Or you could buy a manual one and try to make that work, which is #8 in the diagram.
Which if you look, the ends differ.