91 Dx hatch automatic transmission interchange??

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliott

My stock transmission had a bearing come apart in it so I purchased a transmission off ebay. But the one they sent me has 2 solenoids instead of the 1 solenoid on top mine has mine has. Everything else looks the same.

1) can this transmission be used

2) do I need to just run a 12v wire to a toggle to lock out 4th now? -- I don't mind I paid 200 for the car =)

I rely need to drive my car and it has already been apart for 2wks. If this will work or can be swapped Im game.

Stock tranny number L4 -9015224 - mpm985

Ebay transmission MROA-1000750

Otto85

Might want to get the code off the front of the transmission, that will let whoever can help Kno exactly which tranny you got

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

elliott

Yes that is what I ordered off of ebay. But it came just as ike the one pictured in the link you with 2 solenoids not 1 as mine has. Can anybody tell me the difference between the 1 and 2 solenoid transmission. OR how the solenoids work? weather they fire momentary for shifting stay active while in certain gears?

elliott

Correct I know what transmission I need. That is not in question. The question was if the other 2 solenoid version could be made to work.

While info was not clear on the web since nobody cares about automatics.

I took the new trans apart and the second solenoid only operates a overdrive lockout. Which is not present on the ml4a transmission. Since the solenoids are just 12v charged I was able just to plug my single wire in to the shift solenoid. Leaving the lock out un plugged. Drives like new again. I may wire a toggle for the lockout to use on long hiway drives.

But the answer is: yes the 2 solenoid m4 transmission will bolt on and work just as the ml4a did.

Thank all for the help.

Edward603

THANK YOU.... this has been my question for a few months now, and like you, I couldn't get a straight answer...from anyone. I know it's been a while....have you had any further issues? Now I can buy a transmission and get back on the road.
Ed

Attachments

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All 88-91 d series transmissions will swap, bolt up and interchange, manual or automatic.

Edward603

All 88-91 d series transmissions will swap, bolt up and interchange, manual or automatic.
Thank you all for the help I found on this forum. I did find a transmission, and now I need a bit of help installing it. What I seen and read tells me it is not the hardest job in the world...the hardest part is finding anyone to help me! LOL. I will no doubt do it all myself as is often the case, but from a wheelchair, it's a lot harder than it sounds. Wish me luck. (PS: I was told to not worry about the second solenoid...it will work fine without it wired in) So, I will learn about that next, and post my findings.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I will no doubt do it all myself as is often the case, but from a wheelchair, it's a lot harder than it sounds.
I would think accomplishing that would be damn near impossible.
You don't have any buddies you can draft to help you out?

Edward603

Thank you Mr. Baker,
You seem to be very knowledgeable about this topic. Yes, It will be damn "NEAR" impossible, even if at one time I was a very accomplished mechanic,,,,, soo?. This will, without doubt, take me a lot longer than any group of novices, But I believe I can and will get it done, and now with crowd sourcing for solutions that will come up, I feel a lot more positive. Becoming disabled and what happens to all your friends is a topic for a different forum. LOL. I will keep the group posted.
Picked up the "Correct" single solenoid tranny locally for $200. Next hurdle, getting it out of the hatch of my Subaru! TTYL Edd
....................................a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Becoming disabled and what happens to all your friends is a topic for a different forum. LOL. I will keep the group posted.
That's super shitty that people peace out like that and aren't willing to help, I'm sorry to hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.