New (used) 2000 Honda Civic ex owner

Johnp410

Hey there, new here, and to the Civic world. I'll be lurking in the shadows, trying to figure s**t out. Don't want to bother ya'll with newb questions that I'm sure have already been answered. Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Maryland, have friends that own Civics, never thought I'd be one myself honestly, but due to unforeseen circumstances I am, and I absolutely love the thing already. It's had some work done to it, what I can't say honestly, but somehow I've caught the bug and want to make this the best Civic for myself and others to enjoy. I look forward to meeting you all, and possibly building a nice car. Here she is.
In the back you see, is where we'll be putting other civics, m5s etc to rest, LMAO I'm joking.

Drakon543

i went backwards myself into my 2000. a while ago we had an 08 but its was a piece but dependable for the most part once i had it figured out. traded that for a 13 exl v6 accord but ended up buying my 2000 civic right dow. the street from my house. worked out somewhat my wife wont give the accord up so i get to tinker with this civic.

Johnp410

Man what a pita. Lol I love this car, but I'm always buying parts it seems. So far I've had to replace the front struts, previous owner lowered the front, didn't know he cut the springs, so I failed my inspection. Got that straight, battery went up on me, no biggie, now I'm getting some noise in the suspension/steering. Replaced the upper control arms, they were shot. Now I need to get axles, lower ball joints, tie rods, and that's all I know of at the moment. When I turn it sounds like the tires are squealing. Visually the upper control arms were the worse, everything else seems to be ok, a little dry rotted, needs replacing, but unsure of what to make priority. Definitely need an alignment too.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man what a pita. Lol I love this car, but I'm always buying parts it seems. So far I've had to replace the front struts, previous owner lowered the front, didn't know he cut the springs, so I failed my inspection. Got that straight, battery went up on me, no biggie, now I'm getting some noise in the suspension/steering. Replaced the upper control arms, they were shot. Now I need to get axles, lower ball joints, tie rods, and that's all I know of at the moment. When I turn it sounds like the tires are squealing. Visually the upper control arms were the worse, everything else seems to be ok, a little dry rotted, needs replacing, but unsure of what to make priority. Definitely need an alignment too.
Sounds pretty typical of a 20 year old car that has probably never had any of that replaced.
When it comes to suspension, it should all be a priority. If it looks worn, replace it.
You ride on it and depend on it to NOT fail.

Johnp410

Sounds pretty typical of a 20 year old car that has probably never had any of that replaced.
When it comes to suspension, it should all be a priority. If it looks worn, replace it.
You ride on it and depend on it to NOT fail.
It was replaced with eBay parts, most were anyway. Previous owner lowered it etc.. Got her squared away now, still some noise coming from the new struts, I'm guessing, that's where it's coming from. Its annoying as hell. I torqued them to the proper specs 33ft lbs, but it was a week or so after the fact, initially I probably over tightened them. Otherwise i Got an alignment too, everything is much better, besides the noise from the struts, I'm guessing. Time to start replacing, gaskets, plugs, wires distributor, axles, clutch, and I'll go from there. Friend of mine just got a steal of a great car. It's a 2000 ex coupe, rebuilt motor with 20,000 miles on it, for $500 bucks. I couldn't believe it.

Johnp410

What gaskets and why? is there an issue?

We've all heard that before. At that price, I question the quality of parts and work.
Ya I've got oil leaking around the valve cover, and oil pan. Replacing plugs, wires, the seals around plug, shaft seal with distributor. She needs it. Like you said earlier about things not addressed.
I'm not 100% sure about the work done to my friends car, I can try and find out though, he works at the body shop, beside the shop I work at. I forget the details, but sounded legit. The car is clean as a whistle. I tried to get the old motor, but it was used as a core. $500 for that car is a steal. I paid twice as much for mine lol

Johnp410

What gaskets and why? is there an issue?

We've all heard that before. At that price, I question the quality of parts and work.
I want to rebuild my own d16y8, to possibly turbo. I just got a 94 GMC Sierra stepside, plan on driving it in the mean Time.