Project 98 (Finally something new)

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, it's been a cold minute since I've made any contributions to the community so I picked up a project. This 98 DX didn't come to me as much of a looker but it's what's inside that counts. The shell is actually in pretty great shape with only some minor surface rust to repair and it's complete. She's already swapped with a B16a2 with all fresh seals mated up to a JDM CTR S4C LSD with new axles. The engine is running all stock internals with an ebay turbo kit tuned via the Hondata S300 with 640CC injectors.

31150 Basically, I'm going to start from the front and work my way back. Here's phase 1:

Walbro 255lph
AEM fuel rail
AEM FPS w/ pressure gauge
Skunk 2 Alpha Rad w/ slim fan
AEM wideband
Glowshift Boost gage
Dual gauge cluster pod
Skunk 2 Pro s II Coilovers
Megan Racing front strut tower bar
Truhart front camber kit
Function 7 rear LCAs
Function 7 rear subframe brace
99-00 front end conversion
VIS OEM style carbon fiber hood
Power stop drilled/slotted rotors
Powder coated calipers
Ceramic pads
New rear drums

I've got a lot of little sh*t to do and I'm taking my sweet time with this cleaning or replacing hardware. I'm going to apologize in advance if this takes a bit but my goal is essentially a Milano red EM1 for exterior appearance. I'm gonna try to get it set for paint before winter so I can wet sand and polish after I put it away. After that, the plan is to build an LS bottom end for more boost and swap the B16 head. We'll see if that changes..

Anyway, here's some goodies
31152 31153 31154 31155 31156 31157 31158 31159 31160

Attachments

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Whoops, just realized I didn't drop this in the build section. Can a mod move this post?

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Update: ripped apart the front end and reassembled. Waiting on the carbon fiber to come in so I can get everything lined up. I'm gonna start ripping apart the rear end while I'm waiting.
31163 31164

Attachments

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thats a cute little turbo, I like it.

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thats a cute little turbo, I like it.
Little happy snail! I'm gonna build a bottom end to handle more boost before I upgrade the turbo set up. This one was in it when I picked it up so I figured I'd upgrade fuel delivery and cooling.

I'm debating on picking up a Hondata COP retrofit. I've replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires and I'm still getting power loss at high RPMs (throttle response cuts till you take your foot off the pedal.) Everything I've read on this points to ignition. Based on the pressure gauge and wide band read outs I should be fine on fuel. I just can't seem to figure out why it keeps cutting. Any suggestions are appreciated.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Check the heat range of your plugs and see how they are discolored. Check these colors against a chart (can find via google anywhere now) and you will know if you need to adjust to colder or hotter plugs.

COP is the way to go and I am doing the same thing.

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Got the rear end slapped back together in time for Cars and Clutch at my neighbors house on Saturday. Finally got a chance to post an update.

31190 31191 31192 31193

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Box and weld up those rear subframe sections where the LCA's bolt in. Been seeing these break more often now on 6th gens. Partially due to the added rigidity and old metal degrading.

skribs89si

pissin on authority
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Box and weld up those rear subframe sections where the LCA's bolt in. Been seeing these break more often now on 6th gens. Partially due to the added rigidity and old metal degrading.
They are not substantial at all. I busted off 3 bolts and was surprised to see the amount of flex that occurred while trying too fix that mess.

This is a great idea and gives me an excuse to fire up this bad boy

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
f**king right! Got a cant wait to have a garage again. Once I can get the Civic back on a lift in the new house. I will be rebuilding the entire back subframe section. If it doesn't get some kind of reinforcement then it will be stitch welded along all seams.

Look forward to whatever you end up making. :thumbup: