00 Civic EX, Parts to Replace?

C-Rod

Hi, I'm new to the site and would like to know what you guys would suggest me to for maintenance on my 2000 civic EX. The Car has just about 165K on the tranny and Engine. What I have so far is as follows:

- Transmission Flush, Add GM Syncromesh Friction Modified
- Oil Change with Mobil 1 Synthetic High Mileage Oil
- Fuel Injector Cleaning, Is there a cheap simple way to do this myself?
- Fuel System Cleaning Service (Best way to get this done?)
- Iridium Spark Plugs
- MSD 8.5 MM Spark Plug Wires
- MSD Blaster Ignition Coil
- MSD Modified Distributor Cap & Rotor Kit
- Oil Filter (Best Brand to use?)
- Air Filter (K & N Replacement or no?)
- Mishimoto Radiator Hoses

Most of the ignition components I found on http://procivic.com,

Possibly a new radiator and radiator fan switch also, not sure what else would take priority over this. A new starter possibly before the stock one goes bad?

Thanks for the help in advance.

RonJ

Banned
Has the timing belt been replaced?

Skip the MSD parts. Install only OEM ignition components. Check at sites like Majestic Honda.

I see no reason to replace the radiator, fan, or switch, unless they have problems.

Look in the DIY section for Seafoam treatment.

Replace the coolant, PS fluid, clutch fluid, and brake fluid.

C-Rod

Not sure the last time it was replaced unfortunately. Will a regular Gates timing belt do the trick? I've seen this can cost around $450 to replace with labor. Is this true? Kinda expensive.

C-Rod

Also, thanks for telling me about that site, it's just what I've needed.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get a Honda timing belt if you do change the timing belt. The owners manual says it should be changed every 105k. They're not that expensive on majestichonda. Their prices are really good. And yes, timing belt jobs cost a lot. My friend got 2 quotes for my car and one said around $400 and the other said around $600. The belt itself is like $60. It doesn't even take that long either. If you do change the timing belt, you should also change the water pump and belt tensioner. Inspect the camshaft seal and crankshaft seal while you have the belt cover off.

- No need to add syncromesh. The Honda OEM transmission fluid is fine by itself.
- You don't need any of that ignition stuff.
- You can either use fuel injector cleaner that you pour in the gas tank or you can use seafoam. There are PLENTY of threads on seafoam on here and Honda-Tech. Honda-Tech actually has a VERY large database on all sorts of information.
- You don't need to upgrade radiator hoses or replace the switch/radiator unless something is wrong.

RonJ

Banned
In general, the distributor has about a 150K mile lifespan. If yours has never been replaced, it may be time. Use OEM ignition parts only. Also replace the wires and plugs.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
great advise so far. as far as the cooling system, check all the radiator hoses, if they look old and cracky and stiff, its time to replace all of them. check the radiator for any trash and debris inside, if there is, you need a flush or a new radiator depending on the condition on the one you have. also, a new thermostat is a must if you are doing any other work because its cheap and most times if the car starts overheating its usually the thermostat. y0u dont want to get stuck somewhere due to overheating. And if you are changing the timing belt also indded change the water pump.

Also, check for any oil leaking and replace any gaskets, easy and cheap for the parts. You could also get a new radiator cap, gas cap, and dont forget the pcv valve when you change the oil, its super cheap and pops right off. new fuel filter, and distributer cap (If bad).

everything is optional.

emerican

Registered VIP
i would just do
ngk plugs and wires, fuel filter, oem replacement distributer cap and rotor button, gumout or sea foam fuel injector cleaner, check for leaks. If it where mine would probably go ahead and do the radiater flush and replace all the fluids.

emerican

Registered VIP
Is your car stock or have you done any mods to it.
Just wondering post up some pics of her if you get a chance.

C-Rod

All stock except for lowering springs. Paint is horrible. Its black. Don't have a camera to use at the moment so I will need to get some way to put some up later.