04 LX Instrument Panel issues

Dukeman77

Good Morning, I just purchased an 04 civic lx last weekend. I drove it the first couple days and had no issues. The third day I went out and started it to let it warm up before leaving, then when i got to the gas station noticed that my trip odometers had been reset before I left the house apparently. The next morning I sat in the car while it was warming up and noticed the gauges and lights were flaking out going off and on multiple times? I turned the car off and back on and it worked fine. The next morning the same thing and again today. I have been working 12 hour shifts all week so I haven't had time to get the charging system checked but am assuming that it is working ok since it starts and runs fine every day. Also seems that the headlights dim a bit from time to time and the radio/temp. controls are going off and on with the dash. Please Help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Allbthat sounds like you have a bad alternator. Take a few minures to swing by a local O'Reillys store as they test alternators for free.

Dukeman77

If the alternator was bad, wouldn't the battery be dead by now? When I come in and leave work it is dark so I have to run headlights which would drain the battery and it cranks over great. This has been going on for 4-5 days now.

dancam

Registered VIP
Many alternaters have the voltage regulator built in. So if that messes up instead of giving you 14.4 volts constant it can vary from 9-16volts and still keep your battery charged enough but make things act weird.
Alternator is easiest to get checked out and its free. After that check and clean all your grounds. After that remove instrument cluster to check if the connecters are half unplugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk