06 civic lx not starting at all. keyless lock not working. no power whatsoever.

Shayes

hey all
so a couple days ago i tried to unlock my car with the key. no response to that, or any other buttons on the key. so i manually opened the door, and tried to start the car. turned the key all the way and the engine didnt even begin to turn over or make a sound. i was able to turn the key the full motion, but nothing happened at all, nothing came on, no lights flashed. the car is completely dead. went to the dealer, they said it could be the immobilizer in the car. what else could it be?

i recently moved to college, and the car has been sitting parked in a parking structure for a while. i usually use it maybe twice a week these days, as opposed to almost everyday, back home. could it just be the battery dying? but also when i left my lights on a long time ago, the car at least responded a little when i turned the key, and the lights flickered a bit. now, there is no response whatsoever. its like the electrical circuit is completely shutoff. is there any way i can reset this, and also is there anyway that the immobilizer might get messed up if i do this?

zachkelly

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you test the battery? It sounds just like what happened to my gf about a month ago. She left the cargo light on in the back and it killed the battery while she left her car parked for a few days. She had no button response or anything with her remote locks either. I replaced the battery with a new one and it has been just fine since.

Shayes

did you test the battery? It sounds just like what happened to my gf about a month ago. She left the cargo light on in the back and it killed the battery while she left her car parked for a few days. She had no button response or anything with her remote locks either. I replaced the battery with a new one and it has been just fine since.
can i replace it myself?

where do i buy it?

can someone link instructions?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes you can. walmart, orileys, autozone, pep boys, advanced auto parts. First open your hood, next get a 10mm socket or wrench and loosen the nut one the black cable (not the one with the red cover) and then lift the cable off the battery terminal, next repeat the same process to the cable with the red cover. now this next step is vital... (not really but it is helpful) get a buddy to drive you to the nearest autozone or orileys and have them test the battery to see if its any good, if it is then they can charge it for you, if its junk then buy a new battery and do the steps to take the battery off in reverse

Shayes

thanks

if the battery is completely dead, would it still jump, and would i be able to drive to the auto parts store and have them install it? i dont have any tool here

Shayes

so i just tried to jump the car

as soon as he put the cables on, the alarm on the car went off, and a light on the inside went off. i think someone triggered my alarm and i never could respond to it (4th floor of parking structure 5 mins away from me). and that is what drained my battery. and considering it probably hasnt been replaced since we bought it, im thinking its just completely dead.

would leaving the cables on for a longer time have helped eventually start the car? each time we left it on for a few minutes, the car had a tiny bit of power in the ON position, but then wouldnt start the car. would leaving it on for longer have helped start the car and keep the motor going?

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get your friend to connect the cables to the car and run his car for about 5-10 mins giving it a little bit of gas every now and then. then turn his car off! <---that is vital!!! then try starting your car.

Shayes

Get your friend to connect the cables to the car and run his car for about 5-10 mins giving it a little bit of gas every now and then. then turn his car off! <---that is vital!!! then try starting your car.
ohhh i had the campus parking people help me jump it, but after about 5 minutes of letting it go, he didnt wanna stay, and i didnt feel like asking him to stay a lot longer because i remember reading that if its completely dead, then i cant do it. so i just told him it was alright to go, and that i would buy a new one.

well i went to sears, had them check, he said it was almost completely dead, and if he recharged it, it wouldnt last long. so i bought a new one for 103 bucks, and installed. everything works perfect. thanks for everything

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ohhh i had the campus parking people help me jump it, but after about 5 minutes of letting it go, he didnt wanna stay, and i didnt feel like asking him to stay a lot longer because i remember reading that if its completely dead, then i cant do it. so i just told him it was alright to go, and that i would buy a new one.

well i went to sears, had them check, he said it was almost completely dead, and if he recharged it, it wouldnt last long. so i bought a new one for 103 bucks, and installed. everything works perfect. thanks for everything
no prob man. glad we could help