06 SI losing power at high rpms

Walker77

Got the car back in September. Has close to 150k on it.

When I let the rpms get up around 6,500 the car starts losing power. Acts like its not getting air or gas. As long as I shift around 6k, I'm fine.

I've noticed it will reach higher rpms in colder weather (I've hit 8k rpm in cold weather). I've also noticed that it gets worse when the oil gets about a quart low.

Its not the clutch. Not yet at least.

Thanks for the help guys.

D16Y8Noob

Respected
Check for your vtec solenoid, filter and gasket. Listen if it's even popping over. Maybe your mixture isn't getting correct air. Your oil level is a hint at the problem. Im 6th gen old school and not sure about the newer models. Your Ivtec, the VTC cam gear, advance and retardation is also a factor - youre on your own there, mate. Id check the usual suspects for Ivtec cam gear oil flow and electronic control problems. To simpler times...

Walker77

Check for your vtec solenoid, filter and gasket. Listen if it's even popping over. Maybe your mixture isn't getting correct air. Your oil level is a hint at the problem. Im 6th gen old school and not sure about the newer models. Your Ivtec, the VTC cam gear, advance and retardation is also a factor - youre on your own there, mate. Id check the usual suspects for Ivtec cam gear oil flow and electronic control problems. To simpler times...

Its not hitting vtec when it does this. Vtec has kicked in when it was running good in cold weather.

I've taken the vtec solenoid out and checked the screen. All looks good. I'm assuming the seal since its not leaking.

I feel the same as you. Its either oil related (sensor maybe?) Or mixture. I have noticed it smells like it runs rich. But shouldn't that throw a CEL?

I've had people tell me its a clogged cat. Ive never heard of any such thing. You guys?

D16Y8Noob

Respected
The fact that it runs fine until vtec range is a red flag to me. If youre sure that vtec solenoid is good, check the "VTC" solenoid for the cam action. Hell, maybe your oil pump isn't up to performance in this rpm range.

Walker77

The fact that it runs fine until vtec range is a red flag to me. If youre sure that vtec solenoid is good, check the "VTC" solenoid for the cam action. Hell, maybe your oil pump isn't up to performance in this rpm range.
I took the vtec solenoid off and tested it with a 12v charge. Everything seemed to be good.

D16Y8Noob

Respected
I took the vtec solenoid off and tested it with a 12v charge. Everything seemed to
I took the vtec...

I said "VTC" too. I've heard no mention of it from you. It has two channels for oil flow during high and low RPMs. I've seen pics of these solenoids gunked to hell. The only other things I can think of is the O rings, but they probably wouldn't be so intermittent. Check for test procedures for cam gear, it may have blockage om the advance side. Screenshot_20170708-151301.png

Attachments

Walker77

If the screen wasn't clogged and the oil level wasn't low, then measure the oil pressure.

What oil are you running in the engine? Is there an oil leak? How quickly do you lose oil?
Running the oil called for in the manual. 5-20 isn't it? Too many cars to remember off hand.

It usually burns 3/4 quart every 4-5 weeks.

No leaks that I can find. From what I've read, its not unusual for these engines to burn that much.