07 civic internal engine coolant leak

wyomiles

Newby here folks. My 07 civic has been overheating for months. I average about a gallon of antifreeze every two weeks added. No puddles but obvious water /coolant in oil. Three different mechanic shops pressure tested and found nothing. Have suggested the head gasket is leaking but they are not sure. Finally found service bulletin # 10-048 and took it back to the dealer I bought it from. Seems that they do not want to live up to replacing the block. They say they are not finding the cracks as pictured in the bulletin. So have also said it may be the head gasket If they change out the gasket and it still leaks will they still change out the engine? Do the cracks have to be in certain places to have the replacement? What if the crack is internal? What if my block has a crack that has not been warrantied before? Just wondering if Honda is going to stand behind this or try to get out of it?

Drakon543

^
Also you could try other Honda dealers. A Honda recall doesn't have to be done at the shop you bought the car from.

wyomiles

Thanks for the replies! Update, they finally found a crack so they said that they would submit it to Honda and they thought that it met the recall criteria so hopefully Honda will replace the engine. The holiday set us behind so we have been without a car for a few days and probably for the rest of the week . That is a big pain and inconvenience.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah just read up on that tsb today actually.. someone posted it on the 8th gen facebook page.. was that you? lol

At least it won't cost you anything. Sucks about the inconvenience though.

Drakon543

Ya been meaning to read that tsb myself. They extended our powertrain warranty originally. I'm at 163k on my 08 now so I think of be sol if it happens.