10k mile oil change?

choughster

5+ Year Member
in the owners manual they recomend you change your oil every 10k miles, does anyone abide by that? i usually do it every 5k but i'm gonna wait till 10k this time...

ryanM

i change my oil every 1500-2000 miles

psychotic_civic

I dont go by milage.....i am VERY picky about my fluids and when to change them.....oil i change every 1 1/2 months with Q Horsepower and tranny fluid every 3 months with Royal Purple 75-90....i love to have super smooth shifts and a super clean engine

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont go by milage.....i am VERY picky about my fluids and when to change them.....oil i change every 1 1/2 months with Q Horsepower and tranny fluid every 3 months with Royal Purple 75-90....i love to have super smooth shifts and a super clean engine
You love wasting money.

Go by what the manual says for a stock engine, Honda knows their own engine and what it needs.

falcon

uber noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you are that short on cash then go ahead and wait for 10k. i usually change every 3 months because it is so darn cheap at the dealers. i'm guessing 1.5k to 2k mileage.

ryanM

i should probably add that i track my car regularly, and my engine is still fairly new, it only has maybe 5k on it, if that.

if its a daily driver, 5k is what is normally recommended. thats the interval we use for imports at the dealership i work at

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
3000 miles or 3 months
yup whichever comes first.....and trans fluid i'd say every 30k...and along with a 30k air filter, cabin filter, tire rotation, oil change..and maybe a fuel service...thats at least what we do at the honda dealership i work at

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dang...usually I don't let it go over 3,000 miles...so would 5000 be alright..?

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
3k miles comes from back in the day when oils weren't nearly as good as they are today with additives. Modern Honda engines recommend 5k intervals.

dj_cronic_metal

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dealership recommends every 5,000 miles up until around 90,000 then they switch it to every 3,000 miles. Car should wait though for 10,000 on the first oil change because "supposedly" theirs extra fluids in the original to help break in the engine. I still changed mine at 4,000 on the first one and my cars fine up to 113,000 miles now

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
3 months or 3000 miles is a decades-old rule of thumb that may or may not have ever really been applicable to stock or near-stock engines. If you run your car super-hard consistently, more frequent changes are obviously necessary. But aside from that, the only thing you're doing by getting your oil changed every three thousand miles is wasting money. And you're probably not using the inexpensive oil either, are you?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it costs me about a fillup of gas to change my oil =) so i usually do it every 2 months, thats only highway miles as well i dont drive a car while im in town.

psychotic_civic

You say I waste my money doing oil every 1 1/2months and tranny fluid every 3months....HAHAHAHA. yea thats why i had two NA RX-7s, one with 260k and the other with 226k when i sold them and the engines ran PERFECT and i had a Turbo II RX-7 with about 170k on it and it ran PERFECT.....why bc i never give my fluids time to break down......who doesnt have a spare 20 bucks in 1 1/2 months??? if ya have the money do it, your engine will not hate you, i promise. wasting 20 bucks would be like going to blockbuster and renting a couple of movies....your car is supposed to be the one of the most important things in your life so why not show it some love

LowNotSlow

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I drove my old subaru legacy to the junkyard with 176k on it running perfectly with dino oil every 5k miles. Engine didn't burn a drop ever.

Keep wasting your money. And if it's only costing you $20 per change, maybe you should buy some decent oil in the first place.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should just swap motors every 3k