16 year old lowering help purty please :D

bigboy106

okay, so i have a 99 honda civic ex that i want to lower..i do not have a job (i just started applying to places) and dont have alot of money but want to drop my car. here is a picture of my car.
\

I know this probably isnt a good question but what is everyones thoughts on ebay coilovers? is there anyway that i can make them work well? i really dont have a grand to buy coilovers..Can anyone tell me what i need to buy to lower my car? do i need to buy new front and rear chamber kits, coilovers, shocks, and lower control arms? and what about rear sway bar? sorry for using the same picture as my build log...just its the only one i have at the moment..ill take more soon :D
thanks for everyone inputs in advance. helps me out alot =)

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should do some research

you can get coils for less than a grand. all you really need is coilovers and an alignment. you can get coils used for like 400

i recommend selling those wheels for coils or trading them and rocking steelies. id restart on that part.

and do go with ebay or stock struts.get full coils

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The Progress CS-II is pretty cheap for coilovers and are great from what I've read. Around the $600 range? Some people don't like to recommend Function and Form but I personally have friends that have them and have ridden in their cars and like them. The Type I's are a bit more than the Progress ones IIRC.

I'm sure you could get either used for under 500.

i recommend selling those wheels for coils or trading them and rocking steelies. id restart on that part.
This. Getting wheels without wheels makes your 4x4 status look even worse.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Do not waste your money on any "no name" eBay crap... especially suspension components. Save your money up and get the right product the first time. Trust me, you'll just end up spending more in the long run if you buy no name s*** because you'll just end up having to replace it soon after... and from the sound of it, you don't have money to throw away like that. I'm saving up for the Progress set right now, because I bought eBay junk and it blows.

ps - I second the motion to lose the wheels

Jose1027

Registered VIP
^^this...I made the mistake of buying egay coilovers,I wanted my car lowered and did not want to wait to save up to get a good set up,and guess what they suck I ended taking them off the next day,its better to wait and save your money bro..btw we have the same car,but I took the wing of mine lol

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

bigboy106

ill just save up for a good set of coilovers, thanks for the help. so if i get coilovers i dont need to get new shocks? because i am pretty sure i have stock shocks on. and i read a post on here saying chamber kits arent needed...

Decipher

Registered VIP
No camber kits needed, except for the rear depending on how low you go. You could get the upper control arms for the rear, or do the $2 washer trick if you end up needed any adjustment.

As for struts, you will not need new ones... coilovers are essentially an adjustable spring/strut one piece combo.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
if you wanna keep those wheels, just get some skunk 2 springs, and some new shocks. its like 2 inch drop, you would lose that gap if you kept those wheels, would look a little better anyways

bigboy106

thankyou so much for putting up that link civiexspeedy..! just breify scanned it, and its deff. some good information :D
and r3dline i dont think i am keeping the rims very much longer so i want to get coilovers :3 thanks for your imput though..i was thinking of just getting new shocks and springs but i want to be able to adjust it if needed

CrisCoupe

^^^ I was a little confused with the age but then it made since! But yeahh man dont go ebay its crap!! And i STRONGLY regard you lose the wheels guy had a good idea sell them and add to that cash for a good suspension. Youll be happy in the long run then just wait for a good deal on wheels to coem around!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Whats with kids putting their age in the title??
I believe it's just the op doing it. He's done it in every single thread he's started...

Why, though I don't know.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it lets you know that he is only 16 so he has no knowledge or experience. aka noob

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it lets you know that he is only 16 so he has no knowledge or experience. aka noob
Well, now....not necessarily. I started working on cars with my grandfather when I was very young and actually started modifying my first mini truck 2 years before I even got my driver's permit. Couldn't even drive the damn thing.

It's funny...when most kids were just learning how to mow the lawn, I was already able to rebuild the mower motor. I started doing oil changes on my dad's truck and my mom's car when I was about 10.

I am not the only one that started very young as a LOT of my friends did as well. Then again, automotive culture is what I attached to early, so that might be why most of my friends now are mechanics or at least enthusiasts.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
You don't have a job, but you want to engage in one of the most expensive hobbies there are.

Riiiiight.....

alex_n/a

stocker
why would you sell your rims for steelies. that is a downgrade. sure if you had money and a job then that would be no problem if you are buying better rims. Modding your car is expensive. and if you do it cheap then you will pay the price. the number 1 mod I recommend is a good alarm system. and making it run perfect. I am very anal and like my cars clean and in perfect running condition. once you do that if you still like working on the car then proceed to spending thousands of dollars on your car and then selling for thousands of dollars less.