16 year olds first car..99 civic ex coupe

bigboy106

I got this car for free from my mother...its an automatic 1999 civic ex coupe with only 91k miles on it. So far i have gotten rims, tires, headers, cat back exhuast, test pipe, and cold air intake. oh i also have a sub and new headunit as well as window tint, wing (that i really dislike)... oh it also has front and back lip, and sideskirts and door things painted to match. i want to do a engine swap, and make it a 5 speed but dont know how much it'll cost and how easy it'll be. im new to car stuff, but installed the headers, test pipe, exhuast and cold air intake without much of a problem at all. give me some ideas on what i should do next to my car, and please dont be mean :p im only 16 so cut me some slack. ohh and i dont have a job, so dont be expecting a super fast build or alot of updates because its hard to get money. but christmas and my birthday are coming up so woot woot. thanks for all the help in advance -Darren

[/URL][/IMG]

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Lower it. The wheels aren't HORRIBLE, but you can do better. As far as motor swap, you will want a B16A, or B18B. Both aren't super expensive, but the B16A will get you more power, while the B18B will be better for.. well idk, but I have one and love it

emerican

Registered VIP
welcome to club civic
The swap is gonna cost around 2k if not more and thats not including the 5 speed swap or what maintence may need to be done to the motor you get.

bigboy106

yeah i am deffinitly going to lower it more, only problem is that my test pipe has the hole for the 02 sensor on the bottem, so i already scrap (just wrecked my 02 sensor and check engine light went on...im getting new 02 sensor then getting new test pipe, or maybe a new cat) so i am going to fix that before i lower it. oh and i am going to drive it during winter so i am not going to lower it intill the spring. but as for the wing i thought of taking the wing off and putting a rear visor wing..i dont really know. but i will have holes in the trunk so ill have to look around junkyards to see if they have a trunk i could just switch with. then sell the old one or something idk. but as for the engine swap should i even bother swapping it to a 5 speed? because I hate driving automatics because i have been dirtbiking and quadding with manuels since i was 10..i can drive a 5 speed five ( my mom has a 5 speed and i drive it whenever i get the chance. ) as for the wheels i got them with the car so i dont really mind them. i also have the stock civic rims that came with it..but i dont really have any budget..my mom would have to buy everything for me..or my step dad. he always helps me if i need it, and likes making my car look good. im hoping to get like 300 hp ish out of my car i was thinking maybe a gsr swap..but i dont know. also i want to eventually turbo the car (only if its a 5 speed i dont really wanna spend all that money if itll be auto..) also thinking about getting a tow hook, and fog lights just because i personally like the look. Another thing i want to do is possibly paint my front and back bumpers while, and sticker bomb them..just an idea idk if i wanna do that but whatevess....if anyone has some ideas of what i should do, and what i should do first please dont be hesitant to tell me i like having everyones opinions because i am new to this. thanks for all positive feedback so far, cant wait to get my car build underway -Darren

emerican

Registered VIP
If your gonna motor swap it then you need to 5 speed swap it
a gsr swap isnt going to get you to 300hp by itself

Manser

I have a stock gsr in my car (well, has an intake and an exhaust but thats it) and I only made 147hp to the WHEELS on a dyno.. so unless you build and boost you wont get anywhere near 300hp with a gsr swap.. Thats just my input though.. If I were you I wouldnt sticker bomb a bumper.. MAYBE a fender but deffinately not a bumper, but in saying that, it is your car and your style and if you wanna be unique then go ahead. And as far as fogs/tow hooks go, deffinately a nice cheap investment. I bought a second hand set of fogs a few weeks ago and they help immensely with night time driving! Anyhow, thats just my two cents. welcome to CC:D

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
You have along way to go for the 300 mark honestly like you and everyone else has said you need the 5 speed swap. I would go ahead and get that done first before thinking of a motor swap. Their is plenty you can do to your motor now. Their are alot of pages to help you with the 5 speed swap and for your decision on if you want to swap or build or have built the motor you have. Ive had my car since I was 18 and it took years of working on it and a deployment for me to decide what I wanted done and how it would be done. Good luck and start filling out applications.

bigboy106

imn going to start looking for a job, and i know i wont get anywhere close to 300 hp for awhile thats just my goal once i get it turboed and tuned...and i am deff. going to do a 5 speed swap before i swap engines..but for now i am just getting a tow hook, and fog lights (not droping it intill spring because here in ct we get alot of snow during winters.) 5 speed swap will hopefully happen during winter too because i dont think i am driving it in the winter...thanks for the positive feedback everyone helps me out alot. anyone have any ideas for cheap mods to do to my car to make it look better? do you think my car would look good with a rear window visor?? and if i get the rear window visor sshould i take off the wing?

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Don't know bout the visor but if you don't like the wing take it off and just use some bond or jb weld for holes

bigboy106

i was wondering how i should cover up holes..idk if ill take it off or keep it im debating it...but thanks for the tip on how to fix the holes!!
and random thought should i paint parts of the engine, and do an engine bay tuck?? i am obviously going to do a 5 speed swap but not intill winters over im thinking..(will save up birthday and christmas money as well as money from shoveling and plowing driveways)

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you bondo the holes they will just pop back out. They need to be welded shut, sanded flush, and repainted.

bigboy106

alright, well ill deff weld it if i take the wing off. thanks for all the tips guys! and do you where to buy those really long mirrors that go across the whole ceiling? i wanna get one and sticker bomb it.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright, well ill deff weld it if i take the wing off. thanks for all the tips guys! and do you where to buy those really long mirrors that go across the whole ceiling? i wanna get one and sticker bomb it.
You know, I personally don't think the wing looks all that bad. It's nothing too crazy. Not like those double stacks you used to see around. But hey, your car, your call. Good car though.

bigboy106

....who wouldnt like the double stack wings..i mean i was thinking of taking my wing off and getting an sti wing on my civic \m/ bahaha im just kidding but heres just a little update..My dad might be buying me a Honda Civic hatch this weekend :D i really like hatches and am pumped on this!!! We are going to look at it this weekend it looks nice, but you never know how the engine, and interior will be..heres a couple pictures the guy sent me. ill deff. keep you all posted on this...oh and ill still be doing the build log for my 99 civic ex coupe dont worry!
[/URL][/IMG]