1986 Honda Civic "SI" Updates

Dude13450

I recently acquired me a used 86 Civic SI Hatchback. Well bad news: 1) It turns out that it was just a DX Hatchback :(, 2) It still doesn't run, and 3) I forgot to get a fuel pump while I was at the junkyard today.

It's a 4 speed manual, I need to correct some linkage because I can jiggle the F*** out of my shifter even in any gear (as if it were in neutral).

I went to Pull&Save, my local self-service junkyard, today (2/5/2012) and got me a newly rebuilt carburetor for only $17, along with a new intake manifold! I got me a used cylinder head, which got a S*** load of compression before we pulled it, and just needed a little sludge cleaned off the top of the rocker arm assembly. If I had a little more money and the time (I finished removing the head a half hour before they closed), I would of bought the 5 speed transmission that was in it.

I also happened to forget to get me a fuel pump. I realized after I got home, that I never took the one that was on my head core exchange off, and I pulled the one that was on the head that I just bought so I could remove a nut that enabled me to remove the intake from the head. :( Goods news is: I conned my dad into letting me outta school early (I wanted to skip completely and make up my work later), and I happen to have the $4 to buy one if they won't let me take the one I pulled when I tell them my story.

I also happen to be getting my NEW gasket set (everything: head, exhaust, intake, valve cover, etc), along with my new timing belt, and after we put it all back together, and flush the coolant system, and give its LONG desired oil change, then we'll hook up some jumpers or attempt to push start it, and I will let you know the news of whether or not it does start! And I pray to the Lord Almighty that His grace will shine over me.

Happy great whatever it is for you!

-Dude13450

NOT BAD FOR A $40 CAR HUH?!:

Last edited:

kyle97charlie

68% right 100% of th time
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pics or it didn't happen

Asmar

Domo-Kun
Has a lot of problems... BUT... You only bought it for $40 so can't complain... :P

Dude13450

Has a lot of problems... BUT... You only bought it for $40 so can't complain... :P
Yep! The only time I had complaints had to deal with the 27 vacuum lines in and around the engine bay, that's an accurate count because I looked at the vacuum line diagram which had numbers going up to either 26 or 27, but I am pretty sure it is 27.

I went back and got the fuel pump like I said. When I went to pick up my gaskets and timing belt, I decided to go ahead and buy a new oil filter for the oil change. Then I went down to the General Store (the actual name of it haha) and ordered a air filter, because mine was sooooooooo black on the inside. It's like as if the guy I bought it off of didn't give a F*** about the car, but me, I love it, and it doesn't even run!!!! Tomorrow, I'll clean the the surfaces of the head and block, vacuum out the cylinders, and torque the head down, and clean the intake surface and torque that down if I have the time, and depending on how far I can get with it, I might just either flush the coolant and/or do an oil change. And I MAY have a running Civic by Wednesday or Thursday and if it doesn't get done til the weekend, oh well, I had the car for little over half a year, and I can wait a little more! Again, I'll keep you updated, so good night!

NOTE: I would work on it tonight, but I am going to be visiting with my family and playing cards with them.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Im up for this Build =).... but belive me, some of the deals you can get on cars are crazy, I payed $100 for my 96' CX

Dude13450

Im up for this Build =).... but belive me, some of the deals you can get on cars are crazy, I payed $100 for my 96' CX
Nice! Atleast you don't have to worry about all the vacuum lines like I do. I was pissed to hear after getting my car that 86 was the last year before they switched over to FI completely. :x But like I said, I'm glad I got this little car, and I hope it runs after I clean it and give it the "custom" tune up so-to-speak. How well is the 96 coming along for you?

Avant Uprising

GONE FISHIN
Registered VIP
Nice! Atleast you don't have to worry about all the vacuum lines like I do. I was pissed to hear after getting my car that 86 was the last year before they switched over to FI completely. :x But like I said, I'm glad I got this little car, and I hope it runs after I clean it and give it the "custom" tune up so-to-speak. How well is the 96 coming along for you?
U could always swap the motor and get rid of those pos vacuum lines

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Dude13450

U could always swap the motor and get rid of those pos vacuum lines
True, but I just spent all my money on a head, carb and gasket set for this one. If I put it back together and it doesn't start, and we can't figure out why it wouldn't, then I will save my money and probably buy a FI engine, and just switch everything out and add an ECU.