1990 civic hatchback engine swap

johnc

5+ Year Member
I am looking to do an engine swap into my 1990 automatic civic hatchback. What are my options?

johnc

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
switch to manual and boost it and save about 1k lol..

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
theres many options.
most people would recommend a 5 speed swap.
theres b, d, h, and k series for options. just depends on how much you want to spend, and what suits you best.

i chose the b18b1, LS motor. im very happy with it.
some people like the ZC's. d16z6 SOHC zc, some like DOHC zc.

look around and see which engine fits your needs and budget.
http://www.jdm-online.com/welcome
that is a pretty good site to look at motors..

good luck

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i for got the good old F series motors.
cant for get accord motors....

johnc

5+ Year Member
Thanks for your input guys. My car has a good body, I've spent some in redoing the steering/suspension.
If I want to get into something like a B16A and convert to manual, is it wiser to find a rolling manual shell or can conversion to manual of my automatic be done without too much trouble?
johnc

stcroix

5+ Year Member
ha. sell ur auto car cause a trany swap really aint worth the time for your car or alot of cars . sell it and buy a 5-speed and start out with something worth a swap.

JDMefHATCH7

5+ Year Member
f series

just kidding b series all day they give the best performance and are the least wrok from where your at right now...unless you wanna boost a d series...

it all depepnds on your budget you can get an ls vtec or a b20 vtec setup for around 1500 or cheaper

johnc

5+ Year Member
Are there any mechanical downsides to putting, eg, a B16A1 into an automatic? Are there a variety of automatic transmission choices or should I just stick with my '90 version?
Johnc

johnc

5+ Year Member
In the event I want to put a more powerful engine in my automatic and keep it automatic,....are there any other transmission options other than the stock one. Are there any limitations to my current stock '91 transmission if I did the swap?

Johnc

jon31562

mmmm..turbo?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont know much with auto trannies... but if i'm not mistaken it has to be the auto tranny for the motor...

john... use google... i'm too lazy to do it for you.........