1991 Civic Auto won't go into Reverse

ianjohns

Grandson's 91 Civic w/auto trans. After he bought it stopped going into reverse. Adjusted cable and worked for a month. Now won't go again. I'm thinking cable is coming apart. Any thoughts? Does the cable go into the trans? if so, how to replace. He lives 300 miles away so I am going there next weekend to attempt a fix. Thks

ianjohns

While I was not there for the adjustment, Fergie, the guy who did it is a Mechanic by trade so I would hope he did since he was paid for it lol.

ianjohns

So you think it might work one month after the adjustment and then need adjustment again? Would that not make the cable or shifter suspect of failure?

ianjohns

Okay, well I will attempt to find the instructions on how to adjust it correctly and go from there.
A month ago when they first adjusted it, it would not go into reverse either. that is why they had it adjusted. then it worked for one month and now is doing it again. I was thinking the cable is stretching or unwinding ??? I also thought maybe the end that hooks to the shifter or in the trans might be fraying. I guess I will check the ends then if okay, adjust and tell him to buy a ford lol....

ianjohns

Thank you very much boofoo. When I get back I will drop a note to let you know how I did. Thanks again.

ianjohns

Boofoo, I just talked with the kid again and they didn't adjust the cable as you and me were thinking. He said they adjusted it where it attached to the frame(?) He said they did not change the length of anything....So now i'm thinking it might be some solenoid or something. He said the shifter was stiff and it is okay now with what they did. He said when you move the shifter to "R" it does not always go into reverse. He said once in a while it will but not usually.
Could you tell me if or what there might be in the way of a solenoid?
Thanks Ian.