1991 Civic CX

FGervais

Hi there,
I bought a 1991 Civic CX hatch from my gandma, I wanted this car since my childhood...
The this is D15 automatic.
The shell is A1, I put tower strut bars and wheels. Now I need to plan serious things for it.

In this order:
-Conversion 4 wheel disc brakes, with integra rear trailing arms
-Sporty suspension kit
-Engine/tranny swap !

What would you recommend as a ''reliable'' Engine swap ?
Do you have JDM parts reseller to recommend ?

Thanks,
Fred

Attachments

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are your power goals and budget?

FGervais

What are your power goals and budget?
Hi Mr.Baker,
For the power, anything will be better than the stock D15
Let's say I have many years in front of me to do the project, and let's say maybe 5K$ max. over the years
This is not my daily car, so this will be made for fun.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Based on your budget, timetable and the fact that it is not a daily driver. I say keep it simple and do a nice stock Integra GSR swap, B18c1.
For the car and how much it weighs, it will be a nice power upgrade and nowadays, the b series swap is just about drop in and bolt up.

FGervais

Based on your budget, timetable and the fact that it is not a daily driver. I say keep it simple and do a nice stock Integra GSR swap, B18c1.
For the car and how much it weighs, it will be a nice power upgrade and nowadays, the b series swap is just about drop in and bolt up.
Thanks for your answer Mr.Baker, that's helpful :agreed:

SleeveOfWizard

Cost vs power, no.
You'd be farther ahead just buying the GSR as a starting point.
Lol, the best is to do research and break the costs down piece by Piece....1 cam vs 2 cams, 16 valve vs 8 valves etc.
Differentiate between guys whi have actually done builds/swaps and guys spitting out what they here on the internet=) good luck

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol, the best is to do research and break the costs down piece by Piece....1 cam vs 2 cams, 16 valve vs 8 valves etc.
Differentiate between guys whi have actually done builds/swaps and guys spitting out what they here on the internet=) good luck
Over the last 20 yrs, this kind of data and info have been documented.

SleeveOfWizard

Need more proof? How about new axles, ecu, mounts etc. Wanna keep your a/c? Need new bracket for that as well. This is why i mentioned to do a d series build. What others dont tell you, is the extras to get everything working. They regurgitate what they read.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For the power, anything will be better than the stock D15
True, but what are your realistic power goals?
All in, if you do the labor yourself, you can get a GSR swapped into that hatch for around $2500 or so all in.
Be sure to do all the maintenance items while the motor is out, clutch, seals, water pump, timing belt, etc...

Need more proof?
You haven't proven anything by posting two dollar figures....

It's gonna come down to power goals.
If simply just swapping in a Z6 will make the owner happy, sure then yes, it ,makes sense to not do a B series vtec.
But with the weight of the 4th gen, that little hatch will scoot around nicely with a GSR in it.
I'd rather spend the money up front for something better overall, then settle for another d series, not be happy with it, rip it out only to put a b series vtec in it.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Need more proof? How about new axles, ecu, mounts etc. Wanna keep your a/c? Need new bracket for that as well. This is why i mentioned to do a d series build. What others dont tell you, is the extras to get everything working. They regurgitate what they read.
This guy said in the first post he was going to pull the brakes off an integra, I'm sure he can pick up the rear mount, axles and ecu while he's at it.....

You're trying to suggest a boosted d series is a more straight forward build and more reliable than a b swap running a stock ecu? :???:

SleeveOfWizard

Absolutely, less moving parts. Why does everyone jump on the dohc bandwagon? Im rebuilding the f22 in my accord, why? Less moving parts, less that can go wrong. Btw, my sohc head flows better than an h22. Lots of research to be done my friends. I guess i just appreciate the simplicity of the sohc and its sleeper potential. Whatever you guys decide on, you can't go wrong with any option presented to you. Mr. Baker has a great point, you definately can't go wrong with the gsr. Torque or high end, both? Many options. Post what you ended up deciding on

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're trying to suggest a boosted d series is a more straight forward build and more reliable than a b swap running a stock ecu? :???:
Absolutely, less moving parts.
How so?
You've added more parts to what is essentially an economy motor (SOHC D).
Because you've added more parts ( for boost) you're spending more money on those parts just to get it to where a twin cam b series vtec would be power wise to begin with?
Then factor in quality of parts, installation and tune, lots of chances to go wrong....

SleeveOfWizard

Out of respect for FGervais, he asked for opinions. Your turning into debate, you are absolutely right and Gervais, this guy is right. Follow his plan and let us all know how it turned out. Good luck!

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Absolutely, less moving parts. Why does everyone jump on the dohc bandwagon? Im rebuilding the f22 in my accord, why? Less moving parts, less that can go wrong. Btw, my sohc head flows better than an h22. Lots of research to be done my friends. I guess i just appreciate the simplicity of the sohc and its sleeper potential.
What are you talking about?

SleeveOfWizard

Sorry, havent been on since last post. I make it a habit not to reply due to members who try and drag stuff out after they read a bunch of comments on YouTube and it ends up not benefiting the original poster that's just looking for ideas. I would seek better help than this site personally, due to what I've seen. Im closing my account so, the goofball that replies to this, rests my case lol
Good luck bud!