1991 Civic SI purchase questions

Steven Campbell

Hey guys,
Just created an account here; I'm hoping to get some tips and things I should look for. I'm looking at purchasing a 4th gen civic in the near future and don't know all the little things I need to be wary of, such as rust issues. If you were to buy a 4th gen what are the main things you would want with it along with what would make you turn it down. I don't know a whole lot about them, I know more about 1st gen Civic's and just want to get a good idea of what to look for. I'd appreciate any help. What choices of engines are the best and what is a decent price for one? Once I go through with the purchase I will probably be super active on this forum, always love talking to fellow Civic enthusiasts. Thank you!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's pretty cool you have a 1st gen though! Post up some pics! We don't have a 1st gen section sooo just choose 4th or something. That's definitely something rare that you won't see around here.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The more stock, the better.
Anything poorly modified, I would stay away from.
That being said, rust is a issue with these, unless it comes from the desert South.
Rotten rear quarters, around the gas door, behind the bumper covers the bumper supports like to rust, lower rear rockers, and around the rear hatch, near the lock.
I've had a few of these 4th gens, they're fun, super easy to work on and I love the simple design, inside and out.

Steven Campbell

The more stock, the better.
Anything poorly modified, I would stay away from.
That being said, rust is a issue with these, unless it comes from the desert South.
Rotten rear quarters, around the gas door, behind the bumper covers the bumper supports like to rust, lower rear rockers, and around the rear hatch, near the lock.
I've had a few of these 4th gens, they're fun, super easy to work on and I love the simple design, inside and out.
Thank you for the lengthy reply, I really appreciate it. I just don't want to throw a lot of money at one and find out it's in really bad shape. How much should I expect to pay for one? I'm budgeting around 3k.

GlennH

If you are patient, you can find a good unmodified one in that price range. They sell fast when priced right. Look on CL and check EBay

Steven Campbell

If you are patient, you can find a good unmodified one in that price range. They sell fast when priced right. Look on CL and check EBay
So do you think I should up my budget on one? I've seen a few, but not really what I'm looking for. It seems like all the SI versions have been messed with.

GlennH

So do you think I should up my budget on one? I've seen a few, but not really what I'm looking for. It seems like all the SI versions have been messed with.
My bad, for some reason I overlooked the SI in your post. The SI version will be more expensive than the more basic DX model and will be harder to find in good to excellent condition as most of these were "run hard and put away wet" and extensively modified. So yes, you would need to up the budget. In my opinion it is almost always cheaper in the long run to buy a car in excellent condition than to buy one in fair condition and spend the money to make it cherry. The numbers on that process usually don't work out. Luckily you live in San Antonio and should be able to find the rust free ones.

Another option would be to buy a DX model and modify it to mimic SI specifications.

GlennH