1992 Honda civic Dx hatchback build// Fonda's story

Fondatron3000

1992 civic CX hatchback. Every now and then I would pass this house and Fonda would be sitting outside on a sand pile with a boat next too it, it was like this for the next few years until one day i decided to ask about it, the (at the time) owners had never driven it due to it having a head gasket problem and not knowing how to drive a stick. It turns out that it was owned by an old lady the last time it was driven. It was very clean inside and didn't have any smells. It didn't run. So I bought it for 100$ and got some family with a truck to drag it down the road to my parents family business where it sat for almost another year. The last time it was plated was in 2009 and it had maintenance records going up too 2007. It has 97k miles and is completely stock. It has finally made it out to the family mechanic so I can get it running. It needs a clutch and some other things, it's possible that it doesn't even have a head gasket problem and that the ppl I bought it from were missing informed. Since it is only stock and extremely slow (70 HP) I'm having a turbo installed but it wont have high psi or anything yet. It's not getting an inter cooler or anything since I don't have the money yet so the turbo is just gonna be installed and set up to not be too much boost for the stock engine. so far that's Fonda's story. too be continued...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fondatron3000

Getting the cam adjusted since the engine is apart rn and in the shop. Getting excited also here's some of the cosmetic things I'm thinking about getting.

SD_760

97k miles on a hatch for $100 that's what up. I'm just starting my build thread too.

Fondatron3000

UPDATE : Had my mechanic do some little tricks to it to build hp, after I get my exhaust on it should be around 130 hp give or take a few. Needs breaks now since it hasn't had new ones since 2007 haha, getting antsy! :D

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATE : Had my mechanic do some little tricks to it to build hp, after I get my exhaust on it should be around 130 hp give or take a few.
What "little tricks"?
It'd be nice to see a dyno sheet to see if this is making any significant power from the minimal upgrades.

Fondatron3000

What "little tricks"?
It'd be nice to see a dyno sheet to see if this is making any significant power from the minimal upgrades.
Cam adjustment, and just a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. I also had to get pistons and I don't think they are stock lmao tbh all ik it's that it should have around 130 hp when I get it back. The head also was milled or whatever idrk. I'm new to working on cars and don't know much about it mechanically

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cam adjustment, and just a bunch of other stuff I can't remember. I also had to get pistons and I don't think they are stock lmao tbh all ik it's that it should have around 130 hp when I get it back. The head also was milled or whatever idrk. I'm new to working on cars and don't know much about it mechanically
It seems like you're pulling these numbers from thin air.
So with all these little "tricks", for which you know nothing about what was actually done, you've added 60hp to the crank?
That's assuming the motor was in good health and was putting out the full 60 or so hp to the wheels to begin with.
Yes, your motor is rated at 70hp, but that's not all making it to the wheels.

Fondatron3000

So with all these little "tricks", for which you know nothing about what was actually done, you've added 60hp to the crank?
That's assuming the motor was in good health and was putting out the full 60 or so hp to the wheels to begin with.
The motor has basically been completely refurbished. And all ik is that the mechanic says it's around 130 hp and I drove it. It was quick. Also if like to point out that I'm 15 and just getting into this also I have had 1700 plus $ worth of mechanical work done to the car so I'd like to think it's putting out the amount it's rated at. Considering everything that's been done. Mechanically the car is basically brand new.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The motor has basically been completely refurbished. And all ik is that the mechanic says it's around 130 hp and I drove it. It was quick. Also if like to point out that I'm 15 and just getting into this also I have had 1700 plus $ worth of mechanical work done to the car so I'd like to think it's putting out the amount it's rated at. Considering everything that's been done. Mechanically the car is basically brand new.
So the top end has been completely rebuilt, new everything, valves, seals, etc and block has been completely torn down?
Because you paid some money to someone, they say this and that has been done to it, but you really don't know what's actually been done to it and how it actually equates to real power, it should be rated at X amount of hp?

Sure, that makes sense and seem practically believable.
Get it on a dyno, I'm guessing it won't be over 100 to the ground.

Fondatron3000

Also I'd like to mention I have about 2000$ wrapped up in it now
So the top end has been completely rebuilt, new everything, valves, seals, etc and block has been completely torn down?
Because you paid some money to someone, they say this and that has been done to it, but you really don't know what's actually been done to it and how it actually equates to real power, it should be rated at X amount of hp?

Sure, that makes sense and seem practically believable.
Get it on a dyno, I'm guessing it won't be over 100 to the ground.
The people that did it are professionals it's not just a someone it's multiple ppl and the owner of the shop is a family friend and he worked on it personally, also I have receipts so ik exactly what's been done. Butt yeah maybe your right maybe it's not all making it too the wheels. But maybe it is idk. Like I said I'm just getting into this and irk know that much about the mechanics of cars. I have receipts but i just gave them to my dad to look over so he could make sure everything lines up lmao.

Fondatron3000

Also I can't get it on a dyno around here, I live in a small town with one dyno and the guy charges a lot of money to use it that I don't have

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like a nice start and it also sounds like it has a long way to go.

Your car was build specifically for being one of the top MPG cars of it's time. I hate to say it but Mr. Baker is right. It's going to take a LOT more than "refurbishing" your little 60hp motor to get over double the HP out of it. You haven't mentioned anything that actually vastly improves hp. Kind of like when the exhaust kits or intake kits claim that they give you a bunch of added power, I think your mechanic is puffing the numbers to get you "ok" with all the work that is being done. Not to say they aren't professional in any way, most shops like that pad the numbers to make the customers feel all warm and fuzzy about spending thousands of dollars with them. Helps them and the customers sleep at night. To be honest, most customers wouldn't even be able to call their bluff because they have no clue.

That's part of the tuning culture and especially the aftermarket world. Been there done that. Most of us here know from real experience that simple "tricks" and trinkets aren't going to draw any kind of power out of an economy car with a 60hp engine.

Just enjoy the car, the build, and the journey and call it a day. Keep in mind that you are going to constantly get called out on sites like this by throwing numbers out there that just aren't possible. Your generation of civic has been around for 25 years and the forums have been their for most of that ride. The OGs know the true numbers these make, don't let the "salesmen" feed you BS. Take it for what it is and good luck.

Fondatron3000

Update: I feel dumb now bc it turns out it's a Dx which means it has around 100 hp stock

Sounds like a nice start and it also sounds like it has a long way to go.

Your car was build specifically for being one of the top MPG cars of it's time. I hate to say it but Mr. Baker is right. It's going to take a LOT more than "refurbishing" your little 60hp motor to get over double the HP out of it. You haven't mentioned anything that actually vastly improves hp. Kind of like when the exhaust kits or intake kits claim that they give you a bunch of added power, I think your mechanic is puffing the numbers to get you "ok" with all the work that is being done. Not to say they aren't professional in any way, most shops like that pad the numbers to make the customers feel all warm and fuzzy about spending thousands of dollars with them. Helps them and the customers sleep at night. To be honest, most customers wouldn't even be able to call their bluff because they have no clue.

That's part of the tuning culture and especially the aftermarket world. Been there done that. Most of us here know from real experience that simple "tricks" and trinkets aren't going to draw any kind of power out of an economy car with a 60hp engine.

Just enjoy the car, the build, and the journey and call it a day. Keep in mind that you are going to constantly get called out on sites like this by throwing numbers out there that just aren't possible. Your generation of civic has been around for 25 years and the forums have been their for most of that ride. The OGs know the true numbers these make, don't let the "salesmen" feed you BS. Take it for what it is and good luck.

Thx, and yeah he is obviously right about some stuff, also it turns out that it was a Dx which makes more sense now bc that engine has more hp plus yeah there's no way it could double hp, but it definitely has some added. I think it's a good start and yes it definitely has a long way to go

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Update: I feel dumb now bc it turns out it's a Dx which means it has around 100 hp stock
Hmm, go figure, you were wrong.
I had a hard time believing that you were pulling 130hp from the 8 valve Cx motor.

With a Dx, I'm more inclined to believe it.
But, it would help if you knew what was actually done to the car.
If not for others, for YOU to know and educate yourself.