1994 Civic LX, 1.5L No start when it rains

civiclub

1994 Honda Civic LX 1.5L

We've been having issues with starting a Civic.
Will not start when its raining or after a rain event.

During and after a rain event, check engine light stays on for a very long time (cannot hear the fuel pump priming) and doesn't turn off when turning the ignition (but not trying to start or crank car).
Car starts fine on warm days, with no rain. The check engine light turns on and off when turning ignition and the fuel pump buzzing sound is heard.

We have replaced the spark plugs wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, and main relay.
All work was due anyway except for the main relay.
Replacing the above parts has not solved problem.

Do we have a problem with the ECM?

Is there a test that can be performed that will point to a bad ECM or a bad connection somewhere.
Again, issue is happening during and after a rain event.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

spo0ned

probably u got bad wiring somewhere or leaking somewhere under the hood.
Try to find wet places or ask ur electric to check the wiring.
Such things are pretty dangerous, so u better hurry

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are you certain the distributor isn't getting wet.
We had an Accord that did this, moisture would build up under the hood when it rained.

SirLoki2790

1994 Honda Civic LX 1.5L

During and after a rain event, check engine light stays on for a very long time (cannot hear the fuel pump priming) and doesn't turn off when turning the ignition (but not trying to start or crank car).
Car starts fine on warm days, with no rain. The check engine light turns on and off when turning ignition and the fuel pump buzzing sound is heard.

We have replaced the spark plugs wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, and main relay.

Is there a test that can be performed that will point to a bad ECM or a bad connection somewhere.

I actually had the same exact issue with my 93 last year. I ran thru all the connectors, fuse box, dist cap, found a bad coil, then I found the ecu fuse blew. Luckily found an ecu at pick n pull and it cleared up the problem.
I am also certain the gas tank is full of sediment because I’ll have a blogging issue when facing down hill for a moment, but it clears up eventually.
After using the replacement ecu in ‘humid’ conditions, the old ecu fails when the newer one works.

Dr pimper

5+ Year Member
[/QUOTE]
I had the same problem on my 94 DX 1.5. Parked in the rain it would not start. I heard a clicking down by the fuse box when I cranked the car. I figured i must have had a window leak making it's was down to the fuses, It was the relay next to the fuse box, clicking. I replaced it, and everything works great.
1994 Honda Civic LX 1.5L

I had the same problem on my 94 DX 1.5. Parked in the rain it would not start. I heard a clicking down by the fuse box when I cranked the car. I figured i must have had a window leak making it's was down to the fuses, It was the relay next to the fuse box, clicking. I replaced it, and everything works great.