1994 EG hatch help please?

BrettW

Hi there,

I'm new here and have just recently purchased my first car - a 1994 Honda Civic EG hatch! Although I'm extremely delighted with the purchase there are a few problems I was wondering if someone could help me with?

First of all, I could be being really stupid on this one, however, when I unlock either the driver or passenger door, it doesn't unlock the opposite side. I.e if I'm unlocking the driver's side door my passenger door won't unlock unless I get in the car and unlock it from the inside and vice versa... Both locks seem completely fine if I'm using that side to unlock the car though. Is this common with these cars? Is only one door meant to unlock, or do I have a problem?

My other issue is that my windows fog up very easily. Could this be a sign of water getting in somewhere? I've checked all the carpets after it's just rained and all seem dry, so I'm unsure if this is the case, however, it does seem the most likely wouldn't you agree? Fingers crossed it could be something a lot simpler, but that's what I'm here for. Help and advice! Are there common areas I should look out for when it comes to water getting in the car, or is this a known issue and there's an easier fix to not having the windows fog up so easily?

Like I said any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance,

Brett

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First of all, I could be being really stupid on this one, however, when I unlock either the driver or passenger door, it doesn't unlock the opposite side. I.e if I'm unlocking the driver's side door my passenger door won't unlock unless I get in the car and unlock it from the inside and vice versa... Both locks seem completely fine if I'm using that side to unlock the car though. Is this common with these cars? Is only one door meant to unlock, or do I have a problem?
That only works if the car has power locks.
You haven't posted location, but Western Hemisphere cars did not have power locks as an option.

My other issue is that my windows fog up very easily. Could this be a sign of water getting in somewhere? I've checked all the carpets after it's just rained and all seem dry, so I'm unsure if this is the case, however, it does seem the most likely wouldn't you agree? Fingers crossed it could be something a lot simpler, but that's what I'm here for. Help and advice! Are there common areas I should look out for when it comes to water getting in the car, or is this a known issue and there's an easier fix to not having the windows fog up so easily?
What are the weather conditions when the windows for up?
When running the heater, make sure the air vent option is open.
Also check your rear trunk area where the spare tire should be, notorious area for water to leak in and pool up.

BrettW

Hi, thank you for the reply!

I've been told I do indeed have central locking due to the fact that both doors lock together, just don't unlock together (forgot to mention that in my original post). Is this true though, and if so do you know what I should go about doing to fix said problem?

With regards to the fogging up, it's normally when wet or damp out. I have checked the trunk and it seemed fine, however, this was a quick inspection so maybe I'll have to have a deeper look.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi, thank you for the reply!

I've been told I do indeed have central locking due to the fact that both doors lock together, just don't unlock together (forgot to mention that in my original post). Is this true though, and if so do you know what I should go about doing to fix said problem?
I'm wondering is this is an aftermarket power lock unit or if it is indeed factory to the car.
Is this a keyless entry system like I am thinking the SiR-S model had on it?

With regards to the fogging up, it's normally when wet or damp out. I have checked the trunk and it seemed fine, however, this was a quick inspection so maybe I'll have to have a deeper look.
I do know that you need to have the vent open and when you run the heat to defrost, the AC button needs to be on to remove the moisture from the air.