1995 civic ex 1.6 vtec timing question?

lolopez999

Hello everyone happy Sunday to all,

So I've got my car running ok for now, I was checking the timing and bought a timing light to help. I started by setting cylinder number 1 to TDC by inserting the dipstick and making sure piston was all the way up. My cam was set perfect, the only issue was my crank pulley wasnt lining up with the single white mark. So I did the jumper thing and warmed the engine up. I then checked the crank pulleys lines, and the single white line was off. Now here is my question when checking the timing am I trying to line it up with the single line to the right of the 3 lines, or the middle line of the 3? Because I advanced my timing gradually until the single line was in the timing sight. And tightened the distributor. So Im unclear what line to use, seems like the 3 lines are way off. If I have to use the middle of the 3 lines and my distributor won't advance anymore what do I do to get it set? Pull the crank pulley and adjust? Or is the single line the one Im looking to set at? Thanks. Btw used a harbor freight timing gun set at 16°> thanks

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Single line is 0° the 3 lines are your advancement which it should be set to. How far off is the single line when the cam is at 0? The crank pulley is keyed so unless the key broke you might be a tooth off on timing. Snap some pics

Sent from my boujea ass phone

lolopez999

Ill post pics when I get home from work, just trying to set a gameplan. So once cylinder 1 is at tdc my cam pulley appears to be lined up with up pointing up. But the single tdc line on my crank pulley seems to be of to the left a bit. I'm guessing i have to set cylinder to tdc then make sure crank is lined up in sight. Then adjust cam pulley right? So you are saying the crank pulley locks into place at tdc with the key?

lolopez999

So the crank pulley only goes on 1 way? Or can it be repositioned? Does the key hold it in a certain position?

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Crank pulley only goes on 1 way, there is a woodruf key slot on the crank nose that holds the key and a single slot on the pulley. Line up the single mark on the crank then check the cam sprocket. If its off you either jumped a tooth on the belt or the key is sheared. Has the timing belt neen replaced recently? Is there excessive slop in the belt?

lolopez999

Allegedly was replaced when head was done. My timing is spot on with the light on 16 but on the single tdc line. I'm gonna line it up at tdc and send pics

lolopez999

So i put cyl 1 to tdc with dipstick and crankshaft line lined up. But cam 180°wrong up is down. Going to hit it up and flip it tomorrow. Then ill check again with light. Does the light actuqlly arjust anything or does it just allow you to check? Thnx

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Ya your 180* out just rotate the crank 1 time and realign the white mark cam will now be up. The light just verifies where the timing is, ex 16*, you losen and rotate the dist to change timing which has me thinking your a tooth off since you said you were maxed out on adjustment.

lolopez999

I've been reading up I think I might be in between cycles, or the compression stroke. Tomorrow I'm gonna rotate the crankshaft another 360° and hopefully the cam will be up. I also want to check my dizzy once at tdc i want to make sure the rotor is pointing to 1. If not I'm guessing i would have to remove the rotor and install it to point to 1. No CEL but having a rough idle, and power loss on 2nd and 3rd gear.

civteck

Respected
Registered VIP
Correct and the rotor and dizzy only go on 1 way. Take pics when its rotated of the crank pully timing mark, the cam gear position and where the legs on the dizzy are.