1996 Civic Ex - Rusting sunroof frame

Dolson

The title pretty much explains my problem. After 20 years my civic has finally started to rust, but it isn't where I would have expected it. I've got several spots along the front edge of my sunroof frame showing considerable corrosion, to the point where it is pushing out the seal (pics attached). As far as best course of action...I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it but I might still be able to sand it down and seal the frame for the time being.

Ultimately I will try to find a replacement but I am having trouble finding any resources explaining how to perform such a job. Most of the youtube videos I could find for sunroof repair were either replacing the roof liner or a bunch of drunk guys taking a sawsall to the roof... If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.

Attachments

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
The picture shown looks like the sunroof glass and not the sunroof frame assembly. I know on GM you can remove the glass part from the sunroof frame assembly (there are 2 screws on each side that holds the glass to the frame). Also, I think you can buy a sunroof glass assembly by itself so I would think it can removed. On my civic I noticed a trim piece on the glass that has 2 screws towards the back. I would start taking off those 2 screws and start from there. (look at the manual that I attached)

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If the rust is bubbling that much then its unlikely that it can be salvaged by merely sanding off the rust as that portion is likely corroded through. You can try but be prepared in the event that you may have a gaping hole left of a curved edge. Metal epoxy might serve as a reasonably temporary fix. Itd be best to just replace the glass lid of the sunroof instead of risking a massive leak into your car on a rainy day.