1996 honda civic hatch d16y7 w/ y8 tranny- cant get shift linkage disconnected from tranny

codys'96ekhatch

hey guys excited to have finally signed up and officially am a club civic member! Well anyways I have had a leak that seems to be oil coming from the shift linkage boot..well not from there boot but that is the general area where the leak is coming from. I had it at the shop yesterday and they said it was the selector shaft seal..So instead of spending almost $100 for them to do it I bought a seal/gasket from autozone for $4 and figured i would give it a shot. So far I removed the 12mm bolt that connects the linkage to shifter and I also got the "bi*** pin" out..the darn Shift linkage will still not pull loose from the tranny so I can get to that seal.. any ideas ?? or am I doing something wrong?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Spray some PB blaster on it and see if that loosens it up.

Try not to beat up on it as its the shift fork selector and internally, is a flimsy stamped metal piece..

codys'96ekhatch

thanks for the reply esotericimage! I finally got the shift linkage removed... Now I am having another issue though!....I put the new selector shaft seal in and its still leaking..

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well that means it wasn't leaking from there or you put it in wrong.

codys'96ekhatch

not sure what I did wrong though, I got a deep socket and banged it in as far as it would go. any other suggestions on how else to put it in or any tricks to it?

codys'96ekhatch

that is a picture from the underneath of selector shaft. it is dripping out right there at bottom of shaft where the seal is. ..did I not bang it in far enough? Am i suposed to grease it or clean the shaft before installing? Somehow the oil is seeping past the seal.

codys'96ekhatch

I took the seal back out, cleaned the shaft real good and the boar out with Q tips. then I put a little bit of RTV around seal then installed back and it hasn't leaked since. I am crossing my fingers, it has only been about a half hour. thanks for the input guys