1999 Honda Civic Stock air intake

shanecrossaz

I am very new to the site and the honda world. I own a stock 1999 honda civic HX and i was wondering about the air intake. From some of the research i have done the 99 model has a weird intake box but i really cant find any info on it. I might just put a cold air intake on it but i was wondering if any one has info on the 99 HX model? When i searched for info on the 99 HX here nothing really popped up just wondering if that is like the black sheep of the civic world?

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
What kind of info are you looking for on the hx?

CO671

Registered VIP
The HX is actually the black sheep of the 96-00 Civic's (6th generation). The upside of it was it's CVT Trans and very economical setup. It was slightly more complicated. It has a VTEC-E Engine (D16Y5) with VTEC and an intake manifold like a D16Y8 found on EX Civic's, but has the exhaust setup with the catalytic converter as part of the exhaust manifold like the CX/DX/LX Civic's bearing D16Y7 non-VTEC engines, and a specific OBD2 sensor which surprisingly cost a heavy sum. These CX/DX/LX's are the more commonly found and produced trims that you'll see.
I'm pretty certain your intake looks like this based on the diagram:

(Pictured below is a D16Y8, not a D16Y5 which *assuming yours is stock* is what you have in your HX.
What is your concern?)

instead of this:

Trekk

Registered VIP
I had a 96 HX so not 100% sure how much the 99 changed, but mine used a EX style intake system. Just FYI they are not really worth the money. It's just a noise maker for the most part, you are not going to have any real HP gain. As you can see from the pic above the stock system gets its air from outside the engine bay anyways. The whole system is covered in little expansion chambers to kill the sound, since most people want a silent car.

CO671

Registered VIP
Simply put, headers, intake, exhaust on a Civic is sound, not power.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Only way you're going to make noticeable power on a D series is boost. You could do an all motor build but there's a reason not a ton of people do those. So either swap or boost. Other than that, just keep it stock and reliable.

shanecrossaz

So looking at those pics of the different motors i have (based off what my engine says) d16y5 motor. But i do not have that black box on top my engine. Unfortunately i am unable to post a pic at this time or i would. Best way to describe it would be to look at the d16y8 and have the second filter in its place. My thought is that its just a straight pipe of dirt going into my engine............this is basically my engine of course it is not really but the basic concept. so where the air intake starts i have what you have pictured on the "instead of this"

CO671

Registered VIP
Wait i'm still confused, are you saying you have this?

or this

or this

The closest thing I could think to a box over the D16Y5/D16Y8 intake would be like a B20 intake manifold cover on the CR-V... but as long as i've known these aren't found on D16's.

CO671

Registered VIP
Open up the air box, as long as the filter is there, you're fine.
It appears as some previous owner put in the Y7 intake instead of finding another Y5 or Y8.
This is what you should have:

Here's a comparison of the Y5 - Y8 - Y7 intakes

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Open up the air box, as long as the filter is there, you're fine.]
Dood that's not an airbox, that's just a Y7 intake tube and resonator. He has no filter whatsoever.

My advice is to just go get a no name short ram intake for right now. You need something to filter the air, your engine bay is filthy.

CO671

Registered VIP
Dood that's not an airbox, that's just a Y7 intake tube and resonator. He has no filter whatsoever.

My advice is to just go get a no name short ram intake for right now. You need something to filter the air, your engine bay is filthy.
Oh s***, that's right, that's the resonator. I contradicted myself by not even looking at the photo I posted.
I wouldn't have known from firsthand experience anyways lol, my Y7 didn't come with stock intake. Thanks for clarification.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:] its cool man, I hope I didn't come off as short or rude. Just stating that cause I have a stock y7 also.

shanecrossaz

ya sorry about the dirty engine pic. :(. I did get a new intake with a FILTER. I was also having a problem with my engine fan not turning on which was over heating my engine. Changed my thermostat and fan switch sensor. Everything is working now and my engine bay is cleaner. Thanks for all the help!!

CO671

Registered VIP
ya sorry about the dirty engine pic. :(. I did get a new intake with a FILTER. I was also having a problem with my engine fan not turning on which was over heating my engine. Changed my thermostat and fan switch sensor. Everything is working now and my engine bay is cleaner. Thanks for all the help!!
Glad you got that settled! Head over to the showoff your 6th gen section and make a thread!
-To extend this tech to discussion >
What're your future plans with it?

shanecrossaz

My future plans for the Honda are pretty basic. When i bought the car most of the work was cosmetic. Looking for new rims and also looking to lower it. I'm not going to change anything with the engine since most of the changes are just for sound. Any recommendations on the lowering?

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Function and Form type 1 coilovers. I've had mine for almost a year and they are still riding like new.

shanecrossaz

Future plans right now are cosmetic things like rubber seals, new sun visors, tinted windows, new rims, Lower it and maybe new paint job. Im Having the worst time finding door panels. Apparently the person who owned it before me had a anger problem and there are fist marks in the door that broke the plastic any suggestions on where to find some?