2 catalytic converters?

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
Sorry for the question but I did search already. I know my exhaust manifold and catalytic converter are a one piece unit but a mechanic told me there is a second one as well. I am probably replacing the manifold soon and trying to get all this straight in my head. Thanks.

MasterShake

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Theres one right after the header, but im not sure if you have one there because you have one on your exh manifold.

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to my knowledge not to say it can't differ, but you should only have one, the header, cat convert, resonator, muffler

nurevEKcivic00

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea there is a cat. converter ON you stock header, and there is another 1 after the pipe coming from your first cat . if u replace your header with an aftermarket 1 you will need to get another cat and weld 1 on cause it woulnt pass emissions. i have the same thing on my 00 DX.

TheGreenMachine

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok theres def only 1 cat supposed to be on your exhaust. theres one built into the header. this is the same on my car. hes trying to pull one over on you to get more of your money. after the header all thats there is a resonator and the muffler. if you have an ex manifold on your car there will be a cat AFTER the header, but there is never 2 cats on a civic.

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
Well I think there are 2 cats, one that is attached to the exhaust manifold and then one after that.

xNOBOOSTx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nope you having an lx will have a converer built into the manifold, this cat sits vertically, then it will make a bend under the car where it connects to the exhaust, But there should only be one catalytic converter on your car.

1337 | RCE

teh broke enthusiast
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i think a lot of people are confusing the resonator with another catalytic converter.

xNOBOOSTx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1337 | RCE said:
i think a lot of people are confusing the resonator with another catalytic converter.
Yeah im beginning to think the same thing.