2000 Civic DX, Gauge Cluster Problems

JamesMontana

2000 Civic DX. I have several electrical issues which may or may not be related. (Note: X-posted to CivicForums.com, don't tase me bro.)

Gauge Lights

1. The instrument cluster gauge lights are out. It's not the bulbs; I replaced the bulbs. I identified that the #30 fuse under the dash (instrument panel) was blown, so I replaced it. The #30 fuse immediately blows if I turn the headlights on, even if the key is not inside the ignition. (My guess is that when you turn the headlights on, you're turning the instrument panel lights on at the same time, so fuse goes bang.)

2. The internets led me to believe that the problem might be a faulty dimmer switch. So I yanked the dimmer switch out of the dash. Using utility wire, I bridged the connection in the three-wire connector between red and black (power and ground) to simulate the condition of a working dimmer switch being turned on full. I then turned the headlights on and blew another fuse. (Poor fuses.)

3. I followed the electrical diagram in the service manual as best I can. That led me to believe that the combination light switch (the headlight stalk, in normal English) might be bad. So I ordered a new OEM unit, used, and installed it. No dice: fuse #30 still blows. Dash lights still off.

Front Driver's Side Speaker

The front driver's side speaker doesn't work. No, it isn't the speaker itself --- it's an electrical issue. I can't figure out how that would be related to the gauge light issue described above unless a common wiring path has been damaged, but full disclosure is a good thing when asking for help.

Have a multimeter, but not a good brain. Any thoughts, smart people? See below for diagrams used.

Attachments