2000 Civic Ex bad idle and fluctuating speed

CivicNewbie13

OK. I have a couple different problems with this civic. It idles very rough after it is warmed up. When I am driving the speed of the car will fluctuate. One second it is gaining speed and then it just stops gaining and the rpm starts to lower. Then after a couple if seconds it is back to gaining speed. Does this the whole time I drive especially when doing around sixty.
Another problem that I am having is when I turn the Ac on when I am in neutral or just idling. There rpms drop so low it almost dies. I looked at the compressor while it was on and it will turn and stop. Turn and stop. Please help dont know much at all about these cars.
I have replaced sparks plugs, wires, cap and rotor. TPS sensor , IACV valve. PCV valve. Fuel filter. And bleed the air out of coolant systems. Any ideas that you can throw my way I'm open too.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
OK. I have a couple different problems with this civic. It idles very rough after it is warmed up. When I am driving the speed of the car will fluctuate. One second it is gaining speed and then it just stops gaining and the rpm starts to lower. Then after a couple if seconds it is back to gaining speed. Does this the whole time I drive especially when doing around sixty.
Another problem that I am having is when I turn the Ac on when I am in neutral or just idling. There rpms drop so low it almost dies. I looked at the compressor while it was on and it will turn and stop. Turn and stop. Please help dont know much at all about these cars.
I have replaced sparks plugs, wires, cap and rotor. TPS sensor , IACV valve. PCV valve. Fuel filter. And bleed the air out of coolant systems. Any ideas that you can throw my way I'm open too.
By the description it can easily be pointed towards a very bad vacuum leak. Sometimes you can hear a hissing sound from the engine bay so check for that. Apart from that you can also take it to a shop for a vacuum test through a smoke machine (I recommend this since you are most likely unwilling to buy your own machine). Bad idle can be caused by many things, so do you have any other descriptions? symptoms? anything else abnormal? I believe there is also a FICV which can also be your problem.

In a strange instance I have even seen a bad head gasket do this, but it has its own separate symptoms when it is this bad. Update and we can go from there.

CivicNewbie13

What exactly is a FICV? I'm not in no way shape or form a mechanic but am trying to learn. The only other thing that I could think of is that occasionally the lights flicker as I am driving and the battery light blinks on the dash. I don't think that has anything to do with the idle but I could be completely wrong. Could a vacuum leak cause it to almost die when the AC compressor comes?

CivicNewbie13

Also I just did the tune up a couple of days ago. I have drove about 100 miles. I pulled the spark plugs again and everyone of them are black after only those 100 miles. Any suggestions?

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
What exactly is a FICV? I'm not in no way shape or form a mechanic but am trying to learn. The only other thing that I could think of is that occasionally the lights flicker as I am driving and the battery light blinks on the dash. I don't think that has anything to do with the idle but I could be completely wrong. Could a vacuum leak cause it to almost die when the AC compressor comes?
Fast Idle (air) control valve. I recommend you download a service manual so that it can help you out in finding thiigs, terminology, etc. or google. And Yes, a bad battery can cause your car to idle badly. You can take your car to a local autozone and they can test/charge your battery and test your alternator.

Also I just did the tune up a couple of days ago. I have drove about 100 miles. I pulled the spark plugs again and everyone of them are black after only those 100 miles. Any suggestions?
It appears as though you are burning oil? Do you have any cell code? (check engine light)

CivicNewbie13

P0108 circuit high input. p0113 iat sensor one high input. P1508 idle control speed maf vehicle speed control p0325 bank one of one knock sensor . p0135 sensor heater o2sensor. P1399 manufacture control ignition system or misfire.