2000 civic turbo install

Jeremy zaiger

Hi i have a 2000 ek with a stock d16 as a project. I have 2 options for turbos. Option 1 is a k03 turbo out of a jetta with the intercooler that i know i would have to do alot of modification to use. Or option 2 is selling that turbo and buying a t04e kit and using that which is what I'm leaning towards. Either way I've heard that i can turbo my car with light boost without adding too much to it. But I've also heard that i need to add quote a bit to not break anything. So my question(s) is what do i absolutely need to get the job done and what builds do you guys have. I'm also open to other ideas.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

A few things before boosting the car...

1. Make sure you can pass inspection. I don't know where you are, but this will require you to get an ODB1 (pre 96) ECU and a tune.
2. Before buying or selling any parts, set a power goal and a budget. Make sure your power goal can fit inside your budget.
3. The tune is THE most important part of any forced induction setup. I would set $500 aside for tuning alone. I would rather cheap out on a turbo than a tune.

Depending on your power goal, you should be able to do this without much motor modification at all. But make sure your cars maintenance is up to date -- clutch, timing belt, water pump at a bare minimum. You won't want these parts to fail with a boosted setup.

You'll likely need bigger injectors, and a larger fuel pump. I would recommend an upgraded radiator too, as heat is bad.

Turbo kit parts:
  • Turbo
  • Turbo manifold
  • Downpipe (may or may not be AC compatible depending on size)
  • Wastegate
  • Blow-off Valve
  • Intercooler
  • Intercooler piping
Extra's you'll need:
  • ODB1 ECU
  • Larger fuel injectors
  • Larger output fuel pump
  • A good tune
Maintenance you should do:
  • Timing belt
  • Water pump
  • Clutch (if you do replace this, do it first, and break it in properly)
I suggest you take a read at this thread HERE. I say this all the time -- I consider this link to be the Honda turbo bible. It's slightly outdated, but the information there is critical. Before you turbo the car, understand how all the parts work.

As for turbo kits, I would look into Go Autoworks. Greg, the owner, is a great guy and will help you out with selecting parts, customizing a kit, etc. He knows his stuff. http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/ (their website is meh, though)

Good luck! :thumbs up

Jeremy zaiger

Luckily I'm from Minnesota so emissions testing isn't a problem for me. And because it's not my dd budget isn't an issue either nor is time. But i will look into service records for the other stuff. I planned on doing the clutch anyways. As far as tuning goes what have you heard about tuners that you can get online and download the programs. I was thinking about getting one (if they're worth it) so i could change the tune anytime if necessary. I have quite a bit of automotive knowledge. Thanks for all the info.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Luckily I'm from Minnesota so emissions testing isn't a problem for me. And because it's not my dd budget isn't an issue either nor is time. But i will look into service records for the other stuff. I planned on doing the clutch anyways. As far as tuning goes what have you heard about tuners that you can get online and download the programs. I was thinking about getting one (if they're worth it) so i could change the tune anytime if necessary. I have quite a bit of automotive knowledge. Thanks for all the info.
As I said, the tune is the most important part. I would recommend getting a chipped ECU and finding a local tuner to do it for you. Get it dyno tuned. Unless you REALLY know what you're doing.. aka fuel trims, ignition tables, open/closed loop tune, etc.

Your first step is to set your power goal. Without that goal you don't know what parts will work best for you.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Quality turbo, larger injectors (preferably saturated so they don't need resistors), conversion harness,chipped/socketed obd1 ecu, good quality tuner to make your car run good and last. I wouldn't buy a knockoff wastegate but I think a used name brand would work fine if your a penny pincher and blow off valves are not super important so a cheap one will work.

Tuning solutions are : hondata,neptune,ectune,crome (gold/pro/free). Pretty much in that order is what I would buy besides I like Neptune. Neptune you can download and try free but you have to pay for a software kit if you want to use an rtp/demon to do your own tuning, think you can download and play with hondata but you have to buy the hardware which is 500$, crome is free to use but is junk if you don't know what your doing and how to work around the bugs (you can't buy pro/gold from the software maker anymore so if you find cheap prices on crome gold keys then it's people using a key generator to make a profit off someone else's work.

Last edited: