2000 Civic VP trouble starting

gholt

I have a honda civic VP with about 280,000 miles. I just replaced the distributor wires and plugs.

Sometimes the car is having trouble starting. It will crank and try to start but will not turn over. I end up having to wait about 5 minutes and then with a bit of gas it will finally sluggishly start.

I don't think it's the alternator, battrey doesn't die when running, but it is running well. The battery shows a 14.2 - 14.4 when running.

Any ideas, starter maybe. Hopefully something not too hard to change.

I don't want to put too much cash into this car. it's been in the wringer. It was the sacrificial car for 2 of my kids to learn to drive, so its been in 3 wrecks. Two on the front end and one in back.

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
Interesting. I would love to help, but I have a few questions:

When you say "It will crank and try to start but will not turn over." Do you mean it will crank (the engine will turn over) but it won't start? (actually starting and running)

When it cranks, does it crank slowly?

When you say it sluggishly starts, does it run okay after that

Was this problem happening before you replaced the distributor, wires, and plugs? or did it only start doing it after that?

What kind of plugs, wires, and distributor did you use?

gholt

When you say "It will crank and try to start but will not turn over." Do you mean it will crank (the engine will turn over) but it won't start? (actually starting and running)

When it cranks, does it crank slowly?

When you say it sluggishly starts, does it run okay after that

Was this problem happening before you replaced the distributor, wires, and plugs? or did it only start doing it after that?

What kind of plugs, wires, and distributor did you use?
When it cranks the engine doesn't turn over it just tries to start. Just cranking without any engine activity. It doesn't crank slowly, just the same pace as normal.

It had the issue before I replaced the plugs be and wires. The wires are duralast / AutoZone. Didn't replace the cap, just the wires.

I had the same error again, too many misfires of cylinder #4 again, but it went away.

Once it starts, it runs fine after that, it's just the starting.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SeanShine

5+ Year Member
Hmmm. The two things I would check first are fuel pressure and then cylinder compression. It's good to check some basics before you start getting into complicated diagnostics.