2000 Si with Poorman's type r swap and I ran into some problems

marcuschuang

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok I pulled my b16 out of my 2000 si and I swapped in a fully built Poorman type r for future turbo plans. Now my speedometer and odometer dont work. I used the same engine harness and I have no check engine lights. Only sensor I left off was the Crank Fluctuation Sensor. Vtec works fine. I even pulled out Speedsensor to clean it and harness it connects too and still dont work. I also noticed yesterday my reverse lights dont work either. My friend has same swap in his ek with same problems and his reverselights dont work bulbs are still good though. Does any one know what the deal is? Also where is the fuse for reverse lights on ek?

98civichx

SILVER EJ7
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wanna sell your b16?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
98civichx said:
wanna sell your b16?
you're allot of help :roll:

double check all connections, get a haynes manual, and triple check the ecu wiring.... trace the speed sensor's wiring and troubleshoot it mang!

marcuschuang

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok i double checked the haynes already. ground is the same as vtec ground. 1 wire goes vtec and the other i forgot. I rechecked connectors and cleaned them too. I have a chipped p28 with obd 1 conversion that wasnt ever removed and it was working fine with the other motor before so there is no reason why it should not work with this one.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
marcuschuang said:
ok i double checked the haynes already. ground is the same as vtec ground. 1 wire goes vtec and the other i forgot. I rechecked connectors and cleaned them too. I have a chipped p28 with obd 1 conversion that wasnt ever removed and it was working fine with the other motor before so there is no reason why it should not work with this one.
the sensor for the reverse light i believe is in the tranny, your speed sensor should be in the differential. i'm not sure about honda's but in dsm's the speedo and tach arent connected. (i unhooked my speedo for long trips and used the tach to tell me how fast i was going.) check your cars voltage, sometimes if you're running too low of voltage then you will have weird problems like this.

marcuschuang

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Todd said:
the sensor for the reverse light i believe is in the tranny, your speed sensor should be in the differential. i'm not sure about honda's but in dsm's the speedo and tach arent connected. (i unhooked my speedo for long trips and used the tach to tell me how fast i was going.) check your cars voltage, sometimes if you're running too low of voltage then you will have weird problems like this.
I know where all that is, but what Im saying I tried everything and it is wired up the same as my old motor. I cleaned all harness. It is nothing mechanical it is something with wiring just cant figure out what besides the fact i remove crank fluctuation sensor.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the speed sensor should be fine since your vtec still kicks in, unless you bypass the speed sensor. try swaping the gauge cluster. i have no problems with mines. try asking honda-tech.com, they have more people with experience and can most likely answer your questions. nice to see another poor mans type r on this board, whats your setup?

marcuschuang

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
the speed sensor should be fine since your vtec still kicks in, unless you bypass the speed sensor. try swaping the gauge cluster. i have no problems with mines. try asking honda-tech.com, they have more people with experience and can most likely answer your questions. nice to see another poor mans type r on this board, whats your setup?
Well the motor and the car both run fine. No check engine light at all. The only thing that messed up during swap was that the speedometer and odometer stopped working and my reverse lights dont come on even thought bulbs are in and it is connected on the tranny. The only sensor I left off was the crank fluctuation sensor. I cleaned vss and its harness and put it back in again.

As far as my setup, I am running a 1999 b18c goldeneagle sleeved block 81.5mm bore, je pistons, je piston rings, eagle rods, ported and polished head, 5 angle valve job, supertech valves, web titanium retainers, dual valve springs, cc combustion chamber. :ok: And last but not least stock GSR cams :(

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
well if your tach and speedo arent working then it should be safe to assume that your cluster may not be functioning correctly. that would also explain no visable check engine light. it may be activated but not lighting up just as your tach and speedo arent working. when you start your car up does you cel light up for a second then shut off? because it should

marcuschuang

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My cluster has never been removed and it was throwing an engine light but only because i didnt reconnect o2 sensor after swap. Once I reconnected o2 light went away. But I knew the light was from o2 sensor. Nothing is wrong with components. I think a circuit is incomplete somewhere. I just dont knwo where but whatever it is it also caused my reverse lights to stop working.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
in the back of the haynes there will be complete wiring diagrams for pretty much any circuit in your car. check your circuits using that.

marcuschuang

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok ill try that and right now I checked all the fuses under hood and under dash and all fuses are good. And I dont think it is a relay because speedsensor dont work off relay.