2001 Civic scraping noise after changing front brakes and hub

ob1ob

Apologies for the long post but just want to make sure I give all details. While changing the front pads and rotors I found two wheel studs spinning on my right wheel. After cutting off the lug nuts, I used a puller and slide hammer to remove the hub. While installing the new hub, I must have have over torqued the axle nut because the hub didn't turn. I backed off the nut and pulled the hub out a little. I torqued it to 134 ft/lbs. After finishing with this and the pads rotors, there is a scraping sound from the front right wheel while driving. I bent the dust sheild and greatly reduced the noise but didn't completely eliminate it. I'll mess with the brake shield some more. Should I be worried about anything else like wheel bearing damage when I installed the hub or something else with the brakes? Thanks.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Yes, you could have damaged the bearing. But bearing noise and scraping noise is pretty different. You need to jack it up, pull the wheel and turn the rotor by hand and listen. Or, jack up both front wheels and put it in gear and go listen and look. *Please be carefull though*

ob1ob

Thanks so much for the reply. This is definitely a scraping sound like the rotor is rubbing something like the shield or brake pads. I'll take the wheel and rotor off and take a closer look.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Thanks so much for the reply. This is definitely a scraping sound like the rotor is rubbing something like the shield or brake pads. I'll take the wheel and rotor off and take a closer look.
Leave the rotor on at first. That'll let you see and hear if there's interface issues.

ob1ob

Well, I'm pretty embarrassed to say that I think that I removed half of the inner race of the wheel bearing when I removed the old hub. This whole ordeal started with a simple brake change, and I was in such a hurry to get this done that I didn't pay attention to what I was doing. :oops: I realized this mistake earlier today. I won't have time to fix this myself before needing the car, so I'm dropping my car off with a friend to fix it.