2002 Civic EX trans or Solenoid problem?

nufc

So Monday I bought my 02 civic ex automatic transmission it drove great and didn't seem to have any problems.

On Tuesday I got it registered under my name and got it smogged it was still running good and it passed smog. Later that day I was driving and at a light when I gave my car some gas it just kind of stalled and took a while to react and then shifted really harshly into second gear (it continued to do that unless I started in the second gear and then moved into drive after hitting 25 - 30 mph) then the check engine light turned on.

When I got home I noticed that the transmission dipstick was out of place so I put it back in its hole but it was really lose I noticed that there was a rubber circle ( I believed called a solenoid seal) on top of the dipstick hole it was torn. I glued it back together and put it in and ziptied the dipstick in so it would stay.

My car ran way more smooth again, but it is still rough sometimes in the first gear especially if I give it to much gas. We reset the check engine light after getting "po730" which is Incorrect Gear Ratio, and looking it up online it seems to have to do something with the solenoid. Today it the engine light turned back on and the first gear still seems a bit rough.

Would simply buying a new solenoid seal and a new dipstick solve the problem? When getting smogged they said that my transmission fluid may need to be changed ( which makes me think they broke the solenoid seal) would flushing and putting new transmission fluid possibly solve the problem? or are we looking at a bigger problem such as needing a new solenoid put in or even a new transmission?

RonJ

Banned
Start by buying a new ATF dipstick and then checking the fluid level.

Buy 9 bottles of Honda ATF. Drain the ATF and refill transmission. Then drive car around the block using all of the gears. Then repeat procedure twice.

Rest ECU and hope the transmission is better and the code does not return.

nufc

Okay, I think my friends dad is willing to teach me how to change my transmission fluid so that should be worth a try. I think I may have to take it to a mechanic and determine if its my transmission or my solenoid.