2004 Civic EX problem with P2646

IamJake

My 2004 civic recently had a check engine light come on for P2646 - A rocker arm actuator system performance or stuck off bank 1. I can clear the code and it won't come back on until I hit about 4k rpm's. So far I tried the following:
1. Removed the vtec solenoid and cleaned it (did this twice) and that didn't work

2. replaced the oil pressure sensor (I believe that is what it is called) on the vtec solenoid, light still on

3. Changed the oil, light still on

4. Bit the bullet and bought a brand new vtech solenoid from Honda thinking this has to be the problem and the light is still on

If anyone has some tips, please help!

Last edited:

IamJake

The oil level is fine, I replaced the oil a few days ago. How do i check oil pressure?

IamJake

I always replace the oil filter when I change my oil. I use Mobile1 synthetic with purolator boss filter

IamJake

89K miles. When I erase the code I can run the engine past 4k (up to redline) once, maybe twice until the light comes back on but vtec never kicks in.

IamJake

I am the 2nd owner. I bought the car with 78k miles, it wasn't running at that time. I had the head resurfaced, valves replaced, new timing belt because the belt was ripped when I got it, drive it for about 10k miles after that until this light came on.

IamJake

It drivers like it has 50k miles and very clean under the hood. When I took the head off the engine itself was very clean. Actually the timing belt didn't ripe, it skipped a tooth or a few and that bent a few valves very lightly but I just replaced them to be sure it's perfect.

IamJake

also it doesn't burn a drop of oil and the engine itselfs sounds like a clock (perfect)