2004 Civic Ex slow oil leak location, over 90k miles.

LRL

Hi all,

There is a dark oil spot on the left side of my cylinder head cover and a light oil dusting below the head gasket line. I can't really see the latter but wiping it with a tissue brings up dark oil. However, I check my oil regularly and don't appear to be losing oil.

A Google search suggests that following possible sources.
  • EGR valve
  • head gasket
  • camshaft seal
Before doing anything, I would like to clean the oil and wait to see where the oil reappears. A Google search says the following methods can be used to clean the oily areas. Will either method damage to the oily areas?
  • wd40
  • a water and simple green solution
If anyone has dealt with this issue, I am open to advise.

payne4200

I had the same thing on my 01 Civic, it end up being my rear camera plug seal, is not hard to change, and not expensive, if that's what it is, but I would look there first, it's a black plastic plug with a o ring on it, over time they get hard and brittle, and tend to crack, that's where I would start, its a common oil leak for Honda.

LRL

Hi Boofoo,

Will do. Thanks.

See the attached photos. Notice the oil on the metal plate on the left side of the engine. The close-up image shows it best.

On another topic, you will notice how dirty the hoses and some other parts are. I would like to clean these but this can be discussed later.

Attachments