2004 Civic LX - Check Engine Light - Code P1457

wyclef

5+ Year Member
Hey, getting a P1457 code.

EVAP emission control system leak detected (control canister system)

Tightened the gas cap 3 clicks 4 days ago, nothing...

Other 3 options are Vapor canister saturated, Failed vent solenoid, Failed purge solenoid.

Wondering if someone could walk me through how to diagnose and fix this?

ECP75

My 2001 Civic first experienced a CEL (P1456) in 2007. The fuel cap was replaced with an aftermarket one from AutoZone and that solved the problem for a year. Then, the CEL came on again and I bought another fuel cap from AutoZone and this one solved the problem for only 3 months. I decided to replace with original Honda OEM part and that one lasted 3 years. Last month the CEL came on (this time P1457) and I manually reset the CEL by disconnecting the battery. I did this twice and each time within 20 miles (couple of trips) the light immediately came back on. I purchased a fuel cap from Advanced Auto and put it on yesterday and have made more trips/mileage successfully without the light coming back on - so I think I have solved the problem again via a new cap.

If you have a P1456 OR a P1457 the very first fix I would try is a new cap. Has solved my problem each time. For some reason Civics burn out fuel caps. One of the guys who tests emissions around the corner from where I live once told me that Civics are notorious for faulty fuel caps.

I have read posts where some say a P1457 isn't a fuel cap issue, but some posters confirm that it can be. I will bet that a good portion of those P1457 codes actually ARE problems with fuel caps - especially if you haven't replaced one in 3+ years. Give it a shot, worst case scenario is that you are out $9.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Check the hoses going to charcoal canister.