2005 stalled and won’t start

Ifirefight

My daughter has an 05 dx 4 door. She was on her way down for Christmas from college when she said she hit the brakes to slow down..the car started running rough/shaking then stalled... she was able to get it started again but it died a few minutes later.. then it would only crank over but not start..had it towed back to her house.
Unfortunately I’m 4 hours away so I can’t look at it myself..so I will have to see if her boyfriend can figure it out.

Any suggestions where to start looking for the problem? 05 she is second owner.. 70k miles.. I did plugs,wires, belts, a few months ago did the cam positioning sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ifirefight

Does the CEL work?

Connect a code reader to check for stored codes.
Ok, my daughters boyfriend put the code scanner on it. No codes came up. He was able to get it started.. it ran for a bit then started shaking and stalled out again.. seems like a fuel issue? She had just filled the tank prior to this trip.. she was about 45 minutes into the trip when it died..

Bad fuel would have caused it to run crappy immediately I would think..

Is there a fuel filter that be be checked?

Any other ideas appreciated. [emoji120]

Ifirefight

Tell the boyfriend to test whether spraying starting fluid into the throttle body keeps the engine running.

If not, check for spark at all 4 plugs.

If spark is good, check the mechanical timing.
Shrtft1 and Longft2 are in double digits.. like 25 or so

Ifirefight

Tell the boyfriend to test whether spraying starting fluid into the throttle body keeps the engine running.

If not, check for spark at all 4 plugs.

If spark is good, check the mechanical timing.
Would that not throw a code if is was misfiring? Thank you for the help Sir.

Ifirefight

The O2 senors don’t read correctly until the engine is fully warmed up.
Ok, thank you. I will update this thread as we narrow down the problem. He’s going to check spark and timing tomorrow or the next day.

Ifirefight

Ok, thank you. I will update this thread as we narrow down the problem. He’s going to check spark and timing tomorrow or the next day.

Update. Thinking it was a fuel issue my daughters boyfriend changed out the fuel filter in the tank.. seemed better but still died.. I talked to a local mechanic I’ve known for 20 years.. told him the symptoms.. he didn’t even hesitate and said fuel pump is weak.. put in a new fuel pump, running like a champ! [emoji1360] Thanks for the help. Posting this in case anybody has a similar problem.

Ifirefight

This^ test would have pinpointed the problem.
Make sense to me now.. if the fuel pump was weak then the starting fluid would have kept it running and not starving for fuel. Thank you again Sir for all your help, I do appreciate it. It is frustrating as a father not to be able to help your daughter with the repair being I’m so far away... had the vehicle been here I would have been all over it. But having to hope a 21 year old boy can figure his was around an engine these days is slim...he did good.

Ifirefight

It’s back.. been running fine until today..my daughter drove 4 hours down and 4 hours back a few weeks ago with no problems. Today she drove one hour and one hour back, when she got back it started running rough again and stalled. This time a CEL came on.. her boyfriend said the code was a MAF sensor I think. Do these cars have a MAF or a MAP? And furthermore, would that likely be the culprit causing it to run poorly and stall out? Thanks for any help..

Ifirefight

CEL code p0174 is reserved for engines with a double overhead cam.
Ok, thank you again. I told him to clear the codes stored and run the test again... very frustrating not being there to do it in person and help my daughter out, and have to relie on a college age boy to do it. I know he’s doing the best he can. Will get back to you as soon as I hear from him. Again, thank you so much.

Ifirefight

Did the new codes only appear only after starting fluid was sprayed around the engine?

Describe the current engine performance symptoms. For example:

Does the car start and run?

Is the idle speed abnormal or surging?

Does the engine hesitate or have a loss of power?
Says car starts and runs but has to push the gas pedal to get it started.
Idle speed is normal once it gets running
Engine does hesitate and lose power at times.
He sprayed starting fluid a month ago when we first started looking for leaks , I just was saying he had already tried that.