2006 LX 5-Speed Transmission noise

A.J

Hello Everyone,

I need some advice from the civic 8th gen experts.

My 2006 LX has little more that 170K miles, never had any major issues, until around 6 months ago. I started to hear some weird noise coming from the transmission. The car was functioning properly, the transmission in particular was shifting normally. I replaced the Transmission fluid and didn't find any major particles in it so I kept driving.

This noise kept going louder and louder to where it became noticeable from the outside of the car. This noise will especially be very loud at the lower gears, and COMPLETELY GOES away when the clutch is disengaged. I was positive that it was coming from the transmission because it all goes away as soon as I press the clutch pedal and king comes back when I engage the clutch.

about a month ago, the clutch started slipping at higher gears and the noise became louder at lower gears. The clutch slipping became obvious around last week so I decided to drop the tranny and replace the clutch.

I got the transmission out of the car this morning and noticed some noise when spinning the countershaft manually. I can hear some noise as if some bearing balls were floating inside the transmission. I recorded this video to better explain it :

I ordered a new clutch and it will be delivered tomorrow but since I noticed this noise coming from the transmission, I am worried that the clutch is not the root cause of the problem. And I obviously don’t want to put everything back together and have my new clutch fail again in few months.

I wanted to hear your recommendations before opening the transmission housing. I am tempted to open it and confirm if one of the bearings is broken.

Please advise !

Regards

AJ