2013 Civic EX - Possible exhaust leak - Any ideas?

13Civic

I bought a 2013 Civic EX and drove it cross-country 2.5 times and then some, resulting in mileage of 21K thus far since July 2013. Al oil changes/maintenance services have been completed according to recommended service schedule.

Here's my problem: When I drive the car for less than 20 minutes, I seem to be getting Carbon Monoxide poisoning (CO) symptoms, as well as a strong gas-like/exhaust fume in the trunk area. It takes my husband about an hour to get the same effect as I do at 20 minutes.

I took it to Honda and they found nothing amiss. I then took it to an independent mechanic who said he got the same CO-type sensations while driving and said he smelled gas/exhaust smells in the cabin, and that this sensation and odor was worse when the seats were put down, exposing the trunk to the car cabin. After emissions testing showed nothing amiss, this mechanic visually found that a hose had come loose near the gas tank in back, which he reasoned may have been bringing gas fumes into the trunk and into the car. He said he added a new clamp and advised me to not fill the gas tank to the top when filling up.

So I thought the problem would be solved, but after driving away for about 20 minutes, the familiar tired, spacey, headache set in, though the metallic taste in mouth was not as strong for me as it was prior to the loose hose being clamped back on by this latest mechanic.

Two questions:

1) Is it possible that while the source of the problem may have been fixed that gas/exhaust gasses that were previously leaking have soaked into my upholstery and can cause spacey-ness while driving because it's simply off-gassing after having been filing my car for the past two months or so? I'm having it detailed (shampooed/cleaned) overnight, so I'm hoping that's the case... I may also have the cabin filter switched out for a new one, thinking that having had it on recycle may have drenched the filter in exhaust fumes.

If not the case...
2) Where could CO gas be leaking in from where it would not set off any off emissions readings or sensors on my dashboard? If these sensations continue in the car, I'd like to take it to a Honda mechanic, but may have to be a little more specific about what I'd like them to check beyond the standard, "Well, if the dashboard warning light doesn't come on, then you don't have a problem..." rationale.

Anybody with knowledge, insight, or experience with this kind of situation? I owe a boatload on the car and am scared to drive this thing because it makes us sick. :cry:

Thanks in advance.

Cici

RonJ

Banned
Has this problem existed since purchasing the car or is it recent?

Isn't the car still under the factory warranty?

13Civic

No, the problem started about two months ago and seems to be getting worse.

It is under warranty, but the Honda folks in my area keep saying "If the light (i.e., a dashboard warning light) doesn't come on, you don't have a problem," which is pretty frustrating, seeing how I can replicate the "feeling spaced out" symptoms with other mechanics, but everyone's having a hard time trying to find the source of the problem.

I picked up the car today from a detailer who washed the thing inside and out, and I also stopped by an aviation store to pick up a CO detector card to put on the dash. So far, all tests, including emissions and this card show no CO, and yet there is still a metallic taste in the mouth, slight headache, slight eye burning, and a "stupid" feeling the longer that one drives in the car while it is running.

Is there any other car fluid that could create that? Maybe a coolant leak? The metallic taste gets a lot stronger when the AC is on. With the heat on and off recycle setting, there is no taste.

I have left the AC on recycle a lot since buying the car. Could that somehow burn out the AC or cause some kind of leak that could somehow enter the cabin?

This is my second Civic; first one was an '03. I would give anything to have that little guy back again. I loved that car. This 2013, however, ick.

I'm in the middle of a cross-state move at the moment, so we're going to tow the sucker and take it up with the Honda closest to our new home when we get there. Hopefully they will take a more proactive approach. I really want to keep the car a while. We'll see.

I also switched out the cabin filter today, and will be taking it for a 30 minute+ test drive later to see how it goes. It's really less of a smell thing and more of a sensation thing: spacey, metallic taste in mouth, slightly burning eyes, tired, and kind of stupid for a few hours afterward. Super-weird.

Edit:

I also just discovered that the 2012 model had a recall for a missing/malfunctioning O-ring near the the gas tank that could lead to a small fuel leak. That is exactly where the last independent mechanic noticed there was a problem and added a clamp of some kind to make sure it was connected. Wondering if that's the issue at work here... (http://wot.motortrend.com/honda-recalls-2012-civic-fix-leaking-fuel-line-79843.html)

Also just saw that the 2013 Accord has a similar problem: "American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (Honda) is recalling certain model year 2013 Accord vehicles that are Low-Emission Vehicle (LEV) II rated that were manufactured January 15, 2013, through April 5, 2013. The fuel tank neck may be out of specification causing the fuel pump to not properly seal to the fuel tank." (http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2013/honda/accord/lx_sedan/1073/recalls.html#ixzz2lVqkkvtE)

Last edited:

RonJ

Banned
Be persistent. Document the problem in a detailed letter sent to your local Honda dealership and copied to Honda corporation.

Also consider asking the Honda dealership to clean the A/C evaporator.

13Civic

Will give that a shot

Thanks; will give that a shot.

I took the car for a spin last night and whatever is blowing in there seems to be coming from the AC and defrost functions, so I'll definitely have my next Honda local take a look at the condenser and somewhere up front. While the trunk smell is totally gone after the last mechanic fixed the ill-fitted gas tank connector hose, there is definitely a metallic smell near the front of the car that can be smelled at the vents, and definitely when it's on the AC or defrost setting.

In the meantime, it looks like we're going to have to tow the sucker. It's a 3-days' drive to get to our new place and I just don't trust driving in it, sadly. Bah.

Anyway, thanks again.

RonJ

Banned
so I'll definitely have my next Honda local take a look at the condenser and somewhere up front.
The condenser would not create an odor in the cabin, but the evaporator would. Have the evaporator cleaned. Also have the Honda dealer check for standing water in the evaporator box as the drain could be partially clogged, creating the odor.

13Civic

Thanks for the clarification. Will do.

Also, on a side note, I also notice that the defrost does not work so well on the front windshield, either. Do you know if the AC and defrost functions are related somehow mechanically?

RonJ

Banned
Does defrost not work because air doesn't not blow on the windshield?

The A/C should automatically turn on when you switch to defrost mode. Check that. A/C not only chills the air but also removes moisture.

Adding some heat to the air in defrost mode should increase defrost efficiency. Try that.

13Civic

The air still blows strong onto the windshield (fan OK), and when I click the defrost button, I think the AC is clicking on (because the fan sounds louder/harder as it blows onto the windshield), but there is no other indication that the AC is on. There is no AC indicator light, so I'm not totally sure. Doesn't seem cold enough to be AC, though. Heat takes longer than the cold AC used to to defrost, but does work eventually. There is a greasy film on the windshield that may be working against a defrost function, but I'm thinking it's from the car detailer the other day who may have gotten some Armor All on the inside windshield. I'm going to Windex the inside windshield tomorrow and see if the greasy film returns.

I did notice just before I started the car right now that the cabin had a faint smell of exhaust inside the cabin (similar to old car tailpipe smell, like an old Chevy or Ford truck or something--but a faint version). My husband took it for a spin earlier for about an hour around town (a couple of short trips and stops, as well as once 65+ MPH on the freeway for about 10 minutes), and said that he gets a tight feeling in the head and a metal-ly type sensation in the mouth and throat. He also has slight face flushing after getting out of the car after a few minutes. Baffling, considering no warning dash lights and all emissions tests say no CO.

We have no choice but to tow the car across several states to our new home because it's really not healthy whatever's happening with it. When we arrive at our new town we'll drop it by Honda and ask them to check it out. And like you recommended, I'll document everything and send a copy to Honda corporate. If still no solutions, we'll take it to an independent person for a third-party diagnosis.

I'm starting to think that the cross-country drives killed the little economy engine that could somehow. Thinking back, though, it started less than a month after buying the car new, so not cool, Honda. I kept getting headaches and just assumed it was related to drinking too much coffee on the road. Maybe we had a lemon from the start. Huge disappointment.

Thanks again for your help.

13Civic

New symptom!

I had an a-ha moment today, I think, that may get me one step closer to finding out what's happening with the car. Went driving today for quite a bit of Los Angeles stop-and-go type traffic and now have a headache, BUT I did determine the following:

1. Dizzy/headache feeling comes on more slowly if recycle is on with actual system in the "off" position.
2. There is a light brownish, oily seepage in two spots (one is ~4" across and the other about 3" across) that was beneath the car after I parked it for about an hour or so. I pressed a piece of white paper against the spots and both spots are the same fluid. It is oily and I think slightly reddish, but very faintly. Isn't that what synthetic oil looks like?

Just took it for another spin and am going to test the leak again overnight and see what comes of it. Hopefully, one step closer to figuring it out and fixing it so I can drive without losing brain cells ;)

In your experience, would this type of engine leak make someone feel woozy while driving?

13Civic

Update

What a day . . . drove car for 30 minutes and ended up in the ER with moderate to severe neurological and cardiac symptoms, just after avoiding a car accident--whatever's leaking in really makes you spacey. Hours later still recovering from lung inflammation, shortness of breath, and headache. Whatever's leaking in there acts like carbon monoxide but isn't. Suspecting refrigerant leak of some kind from Google searches alone, but we'll see. The good news is that I was able to get it to Honda and they could smell the metallic-like smell in the cabin of the car, and are going to do a thorough inspection over the next few days. Hopefully the mystery will be solved... And I sure hope so; the car is less than 5 months old! :???:

jkrus10414

Hello,

Did you ever find the cause and fix for this problem? I have a 2013 Civic EX-L and am experiencing the same thing. Seems to be only when the A/C is on and on recirculating...?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hello,

Did you ever find the cause and fix for this problem? I have a 2013 Civic EX-L and am experiencing the same thing. Seems to be only when the A/C is on and on recirculating...?
I'm guessing they probably won't reply since the post is nearly 8 yrs old and that member hasn't been on since.