2013 Coupe with grind going into 4th

Imhtwo

So i stated hearing a little grind with shifting into 4th, all other gears are fine, doesn't matter if I am cruising or hard pull. Think the syncrhro might be going out. If I take it some where to get the transmission rebuilt would it be wise to go ahead and get the clutch replaced? I am still on the original clutch with 120K. Just thinking it might make sense to do both at the same time. Thoughts? Thanks - John

2013 - SI Coupe

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Little late to the response but if you have not had this done then replacing the clutch at the same time will save you time and money later on. 120k miles is still a fair number of miles and I'm sure plenty of abuse during that time.

Imhtwo

Little late to the response but if you have not had this done then replacing the clutch at the same time will save you time and money later on. 120k miles is still a fair number of miles and I'm sure plenty of abuse during that time.
Thanks. I haven’t taken it in yet. Clutch seems good but think it’s best to get the trans rebuilt and clutch while they have it open. Now just have to figure out if I want a dealership to do it or a trans shop. I know the dealer will be out of site.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Thanks. I haven’t taken it in yet. Clutch seems good but think it’s best to get the trans rebuilt and clutch while they have it open. Now just have to figure out if I want a dealership to do it or a trans shop. I know the dealer will be out of site.
Believe it or not rebuilding the transmission is not as hard as it sounds. This forum has the service manual for your car on here somewhere. First time i rebuilt my transmission I had not clue what I was about to do. I printed out all the pages, pinned them on the wall then typed up a huge HOW TO remove and reinstall your transmission.

The actually tranny breakdown I did not do or maybe I did. If I did its in the archives here somewhere too. Its at least 15 years old.

You dont need any special tools other than "MAYBE" a bearing separator and a hydraulic press if you have access to one makes it a lot easier to disassemble if you end up doing an absolute teardown of the trans itself.

Finding manual transmissions in the junk yard is getting harder and harder as time goes on.