2nd gen teg motor in 4th gen civic

ASMD

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi guys, this is my first post, and I hate to start off with such a complicated one, but I figured someone here could help me out.

I am looking at getting a 90-93 Teg for parts, the car has been crumpled in the back and was a bit rotten underneath, so the owner is selling cheap.

While my 91 Hatch is all apart, I am stuck looking for a motor swap, something better than my 1.5L MPFI swap oil blowing beast.

The 1.8L in this teg works mint, and has had a new clutch 20,000 km ago. I was wondering how much work it would be to swap th 1.8L Teg motor into my 91 Civic h/b. I DO have the WHOLE functional teg to donate parts. . .

Do I need a mount kit, or can the teg mounts be modified enough to let the motor sit in my car properly.

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome to Club Civic.
If you want to throw the teg motor in you will need: Motor, ECU, Axels, and the mounts from the integra.

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually I don't think that the Teg mounts will work for that swap. Check www.HASport.com. They make motor mount kits for a bunch of swaps like this. They're kits arent' cheap but they are built perfect. You also might be better off taking to import shops in your area to see what they say about the mounts too. They might have a machine shop where they could make the teg ones work. it's all up to the mechanic for that.

Ken

ASMD

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So. . . how much would the teg mounts have be modified? Hmm. . . the hybrid board has led me wrong. . . it says that with a bit of modifying that the 1.8L teg motor will fit (slight modifying to the mounts that is). . .

So, this isn't an economical idea for a swap then, huh? Man. . .

The Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you can find a how to for how to change the mounts I'd say give it a try. If something gets messed up you can always go to a salvage yard & get some replacements really cheap. I'd still reccomend the HASport kits for just being able to bolt it in though.

ASMD

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had actually asked a local shop, that sepcialize in honda's and this is what I was told. .. .

"Hello

You know with enough hacking you could probably get that engine in the car with out a mount kit. I can tell you that we would never bother messing with mount configuration in a attempt to do a "make it fit" swap. If your doing this stuff on your own time and a budget then this may be economical for you. For us it becomes endless hrs of trial and error that we would have to charge out our time for. We have a used mount kit here which is made by Hasport for $625.00. New kit would cost you $950.00

Thanks"

When on the hybrid board (http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org)

"1.8L Integra non-VTEC

The non-VTEC Integra engines fit, BUT this is not a bolt in swap. The D-series transmission is not compatible with the Integra motor, so all four motor mounts must be modified to fit in the bigger motor and transmission. Use 88-89 Integra axles and you will have to modify the shift linkage. All these things are necessary to insure proper alignment of the axles so that the car will drive straight and shift correctly. In the past, poorly done swaps, would cause the car to pull viscously to the side. So make sure the shop you choose knows what their doing. Prices for a non-VTEC swap start at around $1000 (not including the engine, transmission and other parts needed). But prices vary widely.

The ecu plugs into the under dash harness, but the color coding and pin location is different. The manuals for both the cars will be necessary to map out the changes.

The transmission from the 94+ Integra uses mounts that are significantly different than those in the Civic and uses a hydraulic clutch, so the swap gets very complicated and ugly. However, the 90-93 Integra transmission will bolt to the 94+ motors and has a cable clutch like the 4G civics. This will allow you to use the 94+ non-VTEC motor. You will need to use a 90-93 ecu."

So, I was just wondering what the simple way to do this is, or if anyone has done this. . .. .

I am just looking for some guidance.

And, the teg is all smooshed up in the rear and has a salvage title, 300 bucks.

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
300 bucs is CHEAP for that. if it HAS a motor and u r willing to (have the extra space to) store the car, u should go ahead and get it that way u have SOMETHING to work with, at least. then once you've got the car u can take the parts or mounts or w/e to a machine shop to see what they can do for u.. sorry i couldn't help u out much i dont know too much about engine swaps, but that integra deal dont sound bad at all..

ASMD

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol.. . . . thanks for the support man. . . its a smoking deal and I really can't turn it down. . . not at all. . . . all I know is that it is a 90-93 teg, I had seen the thing going in the local area and heard that it was rearended and the thing ran really well. . . . so. . . I can't pass it up. . .

The folks prolly won't let me keep the car in the yard for long, but, I have a half decent sized extension on the side of my house with a big set of double doors, so its nothing really to get a couple of my friends down, spend a couple days and gut the whole car and put everything into the house. . .

But. . . I just gotta figure out how to put this motor into my car. . . thats all thats holding me up now.