5th gear popping out

jonleon

Whats up guys, im new to the civic game and just recently picked up a 02 civic coupe to commute in. The car drives good in 1-4 and also goes into reverse no problem. But when i try going in 5th and step on the gas it immediately gets kicked into neutral. What could the issue be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonleon

No clue to be honest, ive had the car less than a week. That is
Probably a good start though

jonleon

That wasnt the issue. Fluids changed same issue

TheMyth

Whats up guys, im new to the civic game and just recently picked up a 02 civic coupe to commute in. The car drives good in 1-4 and also goes into reverse no problem. But when i try going in 5th and step on the gas it immediately gets kicked into neutral. What could the issue be?

Synchro/snap ring is more than likely shot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If it's happening only in one gear, it's likely a bad synchro.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Unless the OP has the skill and tools to disassemble and reassemble the transmission, the synchro diagnosis is probably too much information as swapping in a working transmission is the best option to fix the problem.
Sure, but OP was asking what the issue was. Was just going into detail. Rather than OP now asking "what's wrong with the transmission" or "can I fix it myself", they can now research what it takes to replace the synchro and determine this on their own ;)

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would venture to guess that >90% of CC members lack the tools, skills, and fortitude to replace synchros.

Consequently, it’s highly likely that transmission replacement is the only realistic option.
I'm sure you're right, but that's not my point. Regardless of technical know-how, OP asked what the issue was. He already knows the 'what', but wants to know the 'why'.

While I do agree with you that it's much much easier to just replace the transmission, I figured it's at least worth mentioning the reason why he should be replacing it.

jonleon

Unless the OP has the skill and tools to disassemble and reassemble the transmission, the synchro diagnosis is probably too much information as swapping in a working transmission is the best option to fix the problem.
I talked to a honda tech today, they said its most likely something along the lines of the shift fork not engaging onto the 5th gear. Something along those lines. Lol. The plan is to buy a rebuilt transmission and swap it out myself.