5th gen rear struts

BassShot

So when i got the car everytime i would hit a bump the fender would hit the outerish edge of the tire (before the firewall) i put new struts in the back it brought the back up like 5 inches and after 3-4 months its bsck to where the rear fender will hit the tire turning or after bumps its not as bad as the originals but i keep most of my work equipment in the trunk.... is there any strut or shock or something i can buy to fix this problem or do i have to roll the fenders? Also if the second where do i acquire(borrow) a fender roller?

BassShot

Also forgot to add but before when i bough it the car would bottom out in the back going over a small bump doesnt happen now but just for reference

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Did you replace the springs as well? Sounds like the springs have lost their strength which will eventually cause the shocks/struts to over extend or compress. This will reduce the life the spring

BassShot

Did you replace the springs as well? Sounds like the springs have lost their strength which will eventually cause the shocks/struts to over extend or compress. This will reduce the life the spring
Replaced the whole thing got a coilspring set

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I missed the part that you bring all your work equipment with you. If you are putting a few hundred pounds worth of gear in your trunk then that's the problem. All that extra extends back the rear suspension. So all the weight is multiplied when it compresses the suspension.

SO in theory if there is an extra 200lbs in the trunk that is 2' away from the centerline of the suspension, then the effective weight is around 400lbs of gear slamming on the rear suspension during every stroke of the shock.

The towing capacity of our cars is very low and not meant for constantly carrying heavy weight. You can find what are called helper springs or inserts but you are better of purchasing a set of high spring rate springs which can handle the weight.

As far as rolling fenders you can sometimes rent one from Oriellys or Advance auto. Otherwise there are not terribly expensive on amazon.

BassShot

But would that make it wear out in like 3 months?or is that just shitty struts? Also is there some other strut i can buy that would act like weighted struts(can hold more weight)?

BassShot

I missed the part that you bring all your work equipment with you. If you are putting a few hundred pounds worth of gear in your trunk then that's the problem. All that extra extends back the rear suspension. So all the weight is multiplied when it compresses the suspension.

SO in theory if there is an extra 200lbs in the trunk that is 2' away from the centerline of the suspension, then the effective weight is around 400lbs of gear slamming on the rear suspension during every stroke of the shock.

The towing capacity of our cars is very low and not meant for constantly carrying heavy weight. You can find what are called helper springs or inserts but you are better of purchasing a set of high spring rate springs which can handle the weight.

As far as rolling fenders you can sometimes rent one from Oriellys or Advance auto. Otherwise there are not terribly expensive on amazon.
But would that make it wear out in like 3 months?or is that just shitty struts? Also is there some other strut i can buy that would act like weighted struts(can hold more weight)?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Not that I know of for Honda Civics in this case. The only suspension I know of over the years to handle increased weight was literally to purchase higher spring rated springs with heavier duty shocks.

Call your local parts store and see if there is a heavy duty replacement option.

BassShot

Not that I know of for Honda Civics in this case. The only suspension I know of over the years to handle increased weight was literally to purchase higher spring rated springs with heavier duty shocks.

Call your local parts store and see if there is a heavy duty replacement option.
Ok thank you.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ya it can especially if you are driving on s**t roads constantly causing suspension to bottom out. If you are bottoming out then you are driving to fast for road conditions or your suspension is just completely blown out.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sounds like the springs have lost their strength which will eventually cause the shocks/struts to over extend or compress.
The shocks are what control the springs, springs are simply there to support weight. Spring tend to last 3-4 generations longer than the shocks/struts.