7th Gen differences, 01-03 vs. 04-05?

NSZteg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm looking to buy a 7th gen. as a second car. It will be a 2 door, either an LX or EX (probably an EX). What are the changes Honda made between 03 and 04? I searched but only found out about the taillights being a darker red. Are their other exterior tweaks, what about interior changes?

Also, what is the bolt pattern of 7th gens?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The exterior is quite a bit different. New front and rear bumpers, new headlights, new tail lights. Probably some other things too.

As far as interior goes, I don't think much, if anything, was really changed.

Pineapples

Yes, I'm a n00b. Bite me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
01-03 taillights are darker than 04-05. But I think 04-05 looks better. But I think you should wait a year or two to get an 8th gen.. 7th gen is a little bit disappointing, not much improvement. Just my 2 cent.

02EXSILVER

I have a monkey?
5+ Year Member
Front bumper, fenders, headlights, rear bumper, tail lights, center console. The gague cluster pretty much changed every year.

The tail lights aren't darker. They are "crystle clear", unlike the early 02-03, witch are refractive.

Rennen

5+ Year Member
the guage clusters differ from 01-02 and 03-05, coupes and sedans, and AT and MT.

dp_yz713

im slow
5+ Year Member
also the automatic transmissions are better from 03-05. 01-02 are horrible. and pretty much what everyone else said.

bolt pattern on civics are 4x100.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
02EXSILVER said:
Front bumper, fenders, headlights, rear bumper, tail lights, center console. The gague cluster pretty much changed every year.

The tail lights aren't darker. They are "crystle clear", unlike the early 02-03, witch are refractive.
and that's way you hear a lot of 01-02 ppll like myself wanting or having the 03-05 tails. but yeah the 03-05 was just a face lift pretty much.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Different hubcap/wheel designs were offered...

tailights changed... 01-03 had the "C" styled brake lights, 04-05 had the circles. Along with everything else everyone said...

Theres no difference but.. just minor stuff. the ages of the car play large roles in how much they cost though..

an 02' with 42k miles = around 10,995 at a dealership
an 04' with 60k miles = around 12,500 at a dealership.. same model, color, tranny, etc. etc.

yeah... and you get the same shitty D17 engine in all of them... :lol: but.. theyre great cars. I'm having a really hard time finding one for a good price.

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rennen said:
i think u mean 04-05 tails =)
i thought the tails changed in 03 and the rest of the changes occured in 04. :what:

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nope, I have an 03.. and still envy the people with 04-05 taillights.

CenZ

5+ Year Member
the interior is different. well the 03 is accually the same as the 04-05.
truthfully i think the 01-03 look the best except for the tail lights lol. but i made my 01-03 tails look good.

NSZteg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ShinsenTuner said:
I'm having a really hard time finding one for a good price.
Me too, and I've been all over autotrader.com, cars.com, autoweb.com, and every Honda dealership website in Maine, N.H., Vermont and NE Mass. for a solid month. Tough to even find one for a fair, average price! Forget about getting a deal on one, unless you buy private sale.
I want....
EX
2 door
automatic
Exterior in white, magnesium metallic, gray or silver.
Interior in black or charcoal. NO TAN.
I like the wheels on the 04-05's alot, I'd like a wing too but it's not a necessity.

I looked at an 04 MM/black Civic yesterday, finally found one for a decent price at Ira Toyota in Manchester, but didn't buy it. Had a nasty gouge in the hood, lots of scratches all over the trunk lid, lots of scratches on the driver's door interior panel, and a huge scuff on the front pass corner of the front bumper. If I'm gonna buy a second car for this much money, it's gonna be a nice one!
Thanks for the info everybody.

btw, why do the tranny's suck in 01 and 02? What did they change in 03 to make them better? I want my second car to be an auto, and I won't buy a 6th gen because I already know those auto's suck. I had a 98 LX and unloaded it because the tranny annoyed me.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NSZteg said:
Me too, and I've been all over autotrader.com, cars.com, autoweb.com, and every Honda dealership website in Maine, N.H., Vermont and NE Mass. for a solid month. Tough to even find one for a fair, average price! Forget about getting a deal on one, unless you buy private sale.
I want....
EX
2 door
automatic
I like the wheels on the 04-05's alot, I'd like a wing too but it's not a necessity.

I looked at an 04 MM/black Civic yesterday, finally found one for a decent price at Ira Toyota in Manchester, but didn't buy it. Had a nasty gouge in the hood, lots of scratches all over the trunk lid, lots of scratches on the driver's door interior panel, and a huge scuff on the front pass corner of the front bumper. If I'm gonna buy a second car for this much money, it's gonna be a nice one!

btw, why do the tranny's suck in 01 and 02? What did they change in 03 to make them better? I want my second car to be an auto, and I won't buy a 6th gen because I already know those auto's suck. I had a 98 LX and unloaded it because the tranny annoyed me.
You can't find a white coupe without a tan interior I believe. I've heard that 01+ Auto trannies were made with very cheap parts(thus their "economical pricing") the problems are, if your driving and you let go of the gas pedal and let it engine brake and THEN you apply the brakes, the car will studder really badly. I've found a couple of 01 Honda Civic EX coupes with around 77000miles on them for under 8k, but they all have their own odd problems. One had an SRS light on(dont trust that for some reason), another had ripped up seats and required new front brakes(and god knows what else). I'm personally drifting into wanting a Celica GT or GT-S automatic... same price, same years, cheaper and a bit more easy to find.

NSZteg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, I gues that eliminates white.
I'd also buy a blue Civic, but all the ones I've seen online have either tan or light gray interior, do any come in black or charcoal?
If I don't get a Civic, I'll probably get a Corolla. I want some sweet gas mileage.

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
blue 7th gen's only came in tan interiors... my sister drives a corolla... it's ok.

NSZteg

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've owned 2 Corollas in the past, an 89 and a 91. Both were automatics that shifted smooth as a baby's ass (even after 15 years/170K in the case of the 89), and both kicked butt in the snow, and of course reliability and gas mileage are not an issue. A little cheaper to insure than a Civic too. And less harassment from ricers when your in a Corolla (unless it's an S! OOOOOOOh!):lol:

civydcex04

5+ Year Member
NSZteg said:
I want....
EX
2 door
automatic

Are you actually shopping for a car on CC? The differences, specs, colors can all be found on cars.com, autotrader, ect.... for whatever you are looking for.

civydcex04

5+ Year Member
And 5spds get better gas milage. What about a Mazda3. Little better than a civic, and better trannies!!! But I'm a civic lover to I die, so good luck.